What treat did your chickies get today?

Kale
roll.png
they think they will die without it.

Frozen corn on the cob, BOSS and grapes.

I had the tiniest of summer squashes so there really was no squash guts to give them. I'll have to look for bigger ones next time at the farmer's market. They did seem far more keen on the yellow squash versus the green ones, I suppose the yellow color is more eyecatching.

Well going bigger seemed to do the trick! Gave them a whole squash and they're all pecking away at it. My farmer's market sells "organic seconds" (bruised but still perfectly edible organic produce) at a discount, so I spent a buck and got a bag of various summer veggies to treat my birds.

They got every treat I have! Lol Inwas trying to coerce some littles to rejoin the flock after a mini escape attempt! That was cucumber, corn on the cob, some treat medley with oats, mealworms, raisins and peanuts and also some boss! Lol they had a buffet!
1f602.png

I'm trying to tame (relatively speaking) a pair of unintentionally free-ranging cockerels and a pullet, so today they got mealworms, cooked eggs in olive oil, sesame seeds, and parmesan cheese. They've gone from not coming within 20 ft of me to begging for food within a foot of me in about four days. I think it's working. :)

Last edited:
Overripe cantaloupe and peaches today. They demolished them within a few minutes. I also raked up all the cut grass that I had let dry on the lawn and threw it into the run...they had a blast tearing it apart for bugs.

Today, as they have the last few days, they are eating the maggots that keep getting laid in the 1/2 pig head I gave them. I've been googling to see if the rotten meat (which they aren't eating, just the maggots) will do any harm, but haven't found anything to the contrary.

They are also eating their fermented feed, which they get every day. Also, the rabbit food that falls out of the rabbit feeders on the cages hanging in the run.

Back
Top Bottom