What treat did your chickies get today?

Pics
While planting our second cherry tree, we found a fortune in worms, added a little white cheese, and some beef scraps from todays soup pot. Our little hen was looking under the weather and we found her some nice protein that will help her lay some lovely eggs. Having 12 roosters, we can't leave her out with the roos, so we have to find her what she needs to supplement her diet. Hoping this will help boost her up some. Rain everyday for 10 days, guest she got a bit of the blues.::
smile.png
sad.png
big_smile.png
wink.png
lol.png
roll.png
cool.png

Friday my chickens & were treated with pumpkin and rolled oats. I have found that my Mandarins are picky about their treats, they don't care for pumpkin but like the oats and other grains.
Today they all my feathered friendly flock will get apple and wheat sprouts.

Hi Tim, grapes are toxic also. I had a friend who was using them as bait in the showring and her dog went into convulsions, it happened to someone else, probably, like you say, the concentration ishigher in raisin, but grapes are as toxic. I hope they are ok for chickens, that is a treat my girls and guys would love.

Sher Morrow, 60+ chickens, 10 guineas, 10 Heritage turkeys, 7 runner ducks, one african goose, one Pekin duck, 4 calves, 2 dogs and two cats! hmmm did i miss anyone?
tongue.png

Yes, grapes and raisins are okay for chickens. They are a very beloved and sought after treat in our coops. They're just dangerous to dogs---they get no grapes, raisins, chocolate, onion or garlic, as all are toxic to them.
Today the big girls will get lots of BOSS, as they are moulting (it looks like they had a pillow fight overnight when I open the coop in the morning) and raisins, and some chopped up leftover turkey.
The new girls will get Swiss Chard, and BOSS, as well as a couple of tomatoes.

Well, this is more like a meal but this is what they got.

I saved up zuccini peels and potatoe skins and cut up some tomatoes. I put them in a slow cooker with the outer leaves of cabbage. Cooked over night.
Then I added to that in a big pot, 24 ground up hard boiled eggs, couple of loaves of day old bread and buns, about half cup of powdered milk, and an ice cream bucket full of their layer mash. Then I put the egg shells in the food processor and ground them up, this got all the egg that was stuck to the shells also, put water in while processingr to make sure I got all the crumbs and added it to the mixture above.
Mixed it all up with a hand mixer and added water to make it like an oatmeal but a bit runnier. Oh and I added some vitamins to the whole thing before mixing so they get all their vitamins, calcium and protien all in one.
I do this at least once a week. they love it and I am assured they get their vitamins fresh instead of sitting in their water. And since I change their water twice a day I'm sure some don't get their full dose of vitamins since I don't add the vitamins everyday.

This week they will get potatoes and eggs because we just dug up our potatoes and they are getting all of the ones with the wholes in, I don't want to eat those !!! LOL

Then it will be pumpkin week and of course everyday is apple day. They free range and we have tons of apples laying around. The deer used to take care of them but they must be afraid of the chickens
!!! LOL

Garden cleaning-up time so my ladies got asparagus ferns, bolted lettuce, strawberry leaves that had stragled out of their "spot," and radish tops. Plus some ugly grubs - one for each and they still fought over them! Beautiful day here in E. TN - sunny, breezy, 60's.

Back
Top Bottom