What turkey breeds do you recommend?

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
So, I am hoping to get turkeys next year. Heritage only, and preferably a recognized breed.

What do you think of the recognized breeds? (Beltsville Small White, Black Bourbon Red, Bronze, Narragansett, Royal Palm, Slate, and White Holland)

Any others you recommend?

So, I am hoping to get turkeys next year. Heritage only, and preferably a recognized breed.

What do you think of the recognized breeds? (Beltsville Small White, Black, Bourbon Red, Bronze, Narragansett, Royal Palm, Slate, and White Holland)

Any others you recommend?
All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey.

You have listed the varieties that the APA recognizes. The APA only recognizes the breed Turkey.

The only reason to have one of the recognized varieties is if you plan on showing the turkeys. If you don't plan on showing them, there is no reason to limit your choice.

You can find a lot of good information about both the recognized and non recognized varieties of heritage turkeys at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

Any of the varieties listed are good. APA lists the breed as turkey.
Midget whites, people have said maybe inbred because they had health issues. Some discussions about if they are related to the original midget whites.
Royal palm were bred for yard ornaments and aren't as big for meat, but still taste like turkey.
Slates breed out in 3 colors, and some may have small eyes and vision issues.
So depends on the goal
But a local breeder would be best. Or Porter

One thing to consider with heritage breeds. They can fly. I had a mixed flock of BB bronze, spanish black and holland whites from welp hatchery. The BB's definitely finished out extremely similar to what you would buy in the store in approximately 16 weeks (I know you asked about heritage, just throwing in my experience). The Spanish ones were next in filling out extremely well. I think I harvested them around 20 weeks. I would not do the whites again, they were very slow to fill out. In fact when I harvested them with the Spanish they were not much bigger than a roasting chicken. I raised them all in the same place, same feed/water, same access to free range for bugs/greens, same housing.
Back to the flying, if you are okay with clipping wing feathers, which is a good option that I have no problems with, there is no good way to confine them. They literally roost wherever they want, even on the roof of houses/garages/outbuildings. I lost 2 due to fence entanglement and 1 to the neighbors dog when he went wandering.
That said, I will definitely be raising another batch next year. Probably a mix of bronze, spanish and narragansett.

It basically comes down to your own preference. I have several varieties; black, holland white, bronze, slate, self blue, auburn, chocolate, sweetgrass, recessive slate and regal red and I like them all. I raised bourbon reds for years and found them to be one of the best all around turkeys, never had an aggressive tom and the hens were good layers and mothers and they are a very striking variety with the dark red and white plumage. Best of luck with your search, I do recommend you visit Porter's Heritage Turkey site as they have pictures and descriptions of most varieties and their genotypes. I like to play with the color calculator they have, it helps me to develop different varieties from the ones I already have.

Blessings,

Bo

I've only had Bourbon Toms, and the 2 I had/have are always sweet and nice to me, but they turned aggressive towards my mom and sister for a reason we haven't figured out yet. Doesnt care about strangers, just them.

My sweetest are my 2 lilacs, but they're both partially blind. They're very dominant in the pecking order, but subdued and nosy with people. The only other colors I've raised are results of mix breeding so not one of the "recognized" colors. l

It depends what you want them for. While all turkey varieties may have some predispositioned personality traits, each one is an individual and probably could be for whatever you wanted. So just go with what you find more appealing!

All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey.

You have listed the varieties that the APA recognizes. The APA only recognizes the breed Turkey.

The only reason to have one of the recognized varieties is if you plan on showing the turkeys. If you don't plan on showing them, there is no reason to limit your choice.

You can find a lot of good information about both the recognized and non recognized varieties of heritage turkeys at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.
:he Varieties, not breeds...I knew that. Guess I'm still thinking "chickens" :ps

Yes, I would probably end up showing turkeys at my local fair. Thank you for the link!

Any of the varieties listed are good. APA lists the breed as turkey.
Midget whites, people have said maybe inbred because they had health issues. Some discussions about if they are related to the original midget whites.
Royal palm were bred for yard ornaments and aren't as big for meat, but still taste like turkey.
Slates breed out in 3 colors, and some may have small eyes and vision issues.
So depends on the goal
But a local breeder would be best. Or Porter
Thank your for the info!

One thing to consider with heritage breeds. They can fly. I had a mixed flock of BB bronze, spanish black and holland whites from welp hatchery. The BB's definitely finished out extremely similar to what you would buy in the store in approximately 16 weeks (I know you asked about heritage, just throwing in my experience). The Spanish ones were next in filling out extremely well. I think I harvested them around 20 weeks. I would not do the whites again, they were very slow to fill out. In fact when I harvested them with the Spanish they were not much bigger than a roasting chicken. I raised them all in the same place, same feed/water, same access to free range for bugs/greens, same housing.
Back to the flying, if you are okay with clipping wing feathers, which is a good option that I have no problems with, there is no good way to confine them. They literally roost wherever they want, even on the roof of houses/garages/outbuildings. I lost 2 due to fence entanglement and 1 to the neighbors dog when he went wandering.
That said, I will definitely be raising another batch next year. Probably a mix of bronze, spanish and narragansett.
Your post made me laugh!
I'm okay with flying. If worst comes to worst we'll have "neighborhood turkeys"! I'll check out Well Hatchery. Thank you!

It basically comes down to your own preference. I have several varieties; black, holland white, bronze, slate, self blue, auburn, chocolate, sweetgrass, recessive slate and regal red and I like them all. I raised bourbon reds for years and found them to be one of the best all around turkeys, never had an aggressive tom and the hens were good layers and mothers and they are a very striking variety with the dark red and white plumage. Best of luck with your search, I do recommend you visit Porter's Heritage Turkey site as they have pictures and descriptions of most varieties and their genotypes. I like to play with the color calculator they have, it helps me to develop different varieties from the ones I already have.

Blessings,

Bo
I'll look into Bourbon Reds. I've seen pictures and they are stunning! Thank you!

I've only had Bourbon Toms, and the 2 I had/have are always sweet and nice to me, but they turned aggressive towards my mom and sister for a reason we haven't figured out yet. Doesnt care about strangers, just them.

My sweetest are my 2 lilacs, but they're both partially blind. They're very dominant in the pecking order, but subdued and nosy with people. The only other colors I've raised are results of mix breeding so not one of the "recognized" colors. l

It depends what you want them for. While all turkey varieties may have some predispositioned personality traits, each one is an individual and probably could be for whatever you wanted. So just go with what you find more appealing!
Interesting facts! Thank you for sharing your experiences!

These are just my personal observations with them...

Bourbon Reds - I loved them. Beautiful, gentle, not aggressive. 10/10
Royal Palms - Meh. Flighty and standoffish. 3/10
Black Spanish (or whatever they are called now) - Also loved. Maybe not as striking as the Reds, but still gentle, well-mannered birds.
Blue Slate - I liked the hens but wasn't a fan of the toms. This is the first variety I ever had aggressive males or issues housing them with other types of poultry. 5/10
Eastern Wild - Not heritage, but a lovely bird regardless.

Black Spanish (or whatever they are called now) - Also loved. Maybe not as striking as the Reds, but still gentle, well-mannered birds.
Blue Slate - I liked the hens but wasn't a fan of the toms. This is the first variety I ever had aggressive males or issues housing them with other types of poultry. 5/10
Cool! Bourbon Reds seem like a good breed for me!

I agree with the Spanish. Of the breeds I got in my hatchery choice they were my favorite. (Other than the Holland/Midget (?) white Tom that was amusing to watch strut his stuff beside the bigger boys) Planning to get them, bronze and Red's next year. Thanks for the review ☺️ lots of good info for the OP.

Back
Top Bottom