Votes: 39 23.5%
  • fermented whole grain

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • pasture/free range

Votes: 79 47.6%
  • other (please comment)

Votes: 26 15.7%

• Total voters
I have (30) 20 week old an (4) 2year old chickens an 2 babies about a month old they still get grower an free range in thier quarter of an acre run.. but my adults get scratch feed, laying pellets, they excape out of thier run daily an free range as they wish, plus they get kitchen scraps 2-4 times a month

My girls, like many others here, have unlimited pellets available. They free range all day in the yard, and I toss them mealy worms, scratch, and whatnot throughout the day. Today, they had some fresh kale from the garden. Sometimes, it's fruits, veggies, leftovers from the fridge. Their favorite is my homemade yogurt.

My girls, like many others here, have unlimited pellets available. They free range all day in the yard, and I toss them mealy worms, scratch, and whatnot throughout the day. Today, they had some fresh kale from the garden. Sometimes, it's fruits, veggies, leftovers from the fridge. Their favorite is my homemade yogurt.

I tried walnuts but my two didn't eat them. Do you grind the walnuts? Mine were chopped

High quality dry crumble (I actually prefer pellets, but my new girls refuse to eat them so I switched) that I mix with course ground feed blend made by my local feedmill. They also have a large yard they "free range" in and free access to a kale "buffet". They also get kitchen veggie scraps and are bribed into the coop at night with a mealworm treat.

we feed ALL of the above but we can only select 3, so I picked 3 that we feed the most. We ferment both rolled as well as whole grain. we also have tubs filled with mix rolled and whole grain (oats, barley, wheat, and corn) available at all time. 50% of our daily feed consist of the fermented grain + purpose grown vegetables + herbs (beans, peas, lettuce, kale, cabbage, brocolli, chards, spinach, garlic, chives, parsley, lovage, oregano, sorrel). My flock also free range from sunrise to sunset where they raid my orchard for low hanging fruits and any critters that are silly enough to venture out :)

Layers pellets 24/7 and 24/7, well daytime anyway, access to grass, plus kitchen scraps and mixed corn as treats
Edited to say: and continuous access to oyster shell

Where do you get this feed?

I order it directly from them and they ship it to my house. It is more expensive that way but I have found that it is much fresher. One time it was milled just one day before it was shipped! However, quite a few local feed stores carry it also and I'm sure you could call them to see where they nearest one is to you.

Back
Top Bottom