• fermented whole grain

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • pasture/free range

Votes: 79 47.6%
  • other (please comment)

Votes: 26 15.7%

• Total voters
Pics
They have unlimited access to Layers pellets in the coop. They also get a small amount of scratch grains or mixed bird seed scattered on the ground twice a day. I let them out to free range 2 hours before sunset daily, weather permitting. I also provide oyster shells in a separate container, and granite grit in another container.
I have 5 hens, 16 months old. GC

My girls are on Scratch n Peck grower feed. Is that considered crumble? Im new to this.

With this heat wave, I started mixing it with a little water & freezing it, & found that also helps with making sure they eat all the fines that fall to the bottom. I figure it helps cool them down and gives them another source of water.

I just learned about fermenting so trying that out in addition to their regular free choice dry.

I also just started putting out crushed egg shells free choice.

Also with this heat wave, I've been giving them treats like frozen water melon, & tossing some rose petals or meal worms into their water to encourage them to drink more. They love the roses!! Funny girls

I feed dry crumbles and am starting to add in fermented crumbles. they also have a big "salad" every day with treats of meal worms, crickets, and scratch grains. The salad is a mixture of greens including dandelion greens, collard, kale, leaf lettuce, fruit, and veggies. They all come running to the gate when they see me coming with the salad bowl.

For those of you who have chickens that seem to turn their beaks up at raw vegetable kitchen scraps, I think I may have a solution. Mine did the same thing, until one day, someone suggested it was the size of the pieces they didn't like. I cut them smaller and smaller until it started getting dangerous for my fingers. Lol! Finally, I just gave them a whirl in my Ninja. They ate it up, no problems, no leftovers. So, you might consider putting scraps in your food processor, chopper, or blender, or whatever contraption you have. FlyWheel's post made me think to give that tip.

Back
Top Bottom