What was your all time favorite rooster? And pics if you got'm!

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
What was your all time favorite rooster?
And... what would your dream rooster be?
Did you ever give away a rooster and wish you had kept him?

My favorite rooster of all time was Zippy. He was an EE bantam. He was so sweet. 2 other big roosters took him out. That was the only time I had roosters do that. They must have been jealous.

I had my dream rooster an Ayam cemani
dawnacus 564.jpg
But I had no hens or plans on breeding this bird, so I traded him for a female of this same breed to a breeder friend. Ayam cermani is a neat breed, but I wanted just the one. My other birds are layers.

The rooster I wish I kept was my frizzle, he was not very pretty and was always molting. He had a blue feather/frizzle gene I wanted, and I had some chicks from him. I thought I didn't need him any longer. Well his chicks ended up being so pretty I wish I kept him. Below Silverman
egg 5171.jpg

below his daughter Greyslyn
186743.jpg

I also gave away my pure LO roosters because I had eggs in incubator, the eggs were mixed but I thought I would have some blue chickens, they ended up black (black mom. I know how to get blue feathered chickens NO LESSONS please! but the black hens with no blue gene were the only hens I had at that moment.) I did get this one who is blue cochin/LO my current rooster.
dawnacus 568.jpg

Last edited:
Oddly enough, my favourite cockbird I've ever owned is a 3 yr old Buff Silkie.
Pebbles2016.jpg

He's the most well-mannered male bird I have ever had the pleasure to own. He keeps a constant watch for predators and will warn the hens rather than running first. He doesn't overmate the hens and prevents cockerels from fighting constantly or chasing the pullets. Many of the other cockbirds I've owned cause more chaos than they prevent, but not him. The only downside is his breed—he's pretty tiny, so he can't keep the largest breed cockerels from misbehaving all the time. I'm letting him stay for the rest of his life which is pretty rare in my flock. I sell most when their production wanes or when I get a better bird.

Banty- I had a friend give me a little black silky, he was so friendly with one wonky feather that would dance back and forth, his name was Peanut. I could not keep him though my neighbor complained (crowing), He got rehomed to a nice family with many children. He was another rooster .... what am I saying, I want them all. Can I rehome my neighbor? haha kidding!
:gig I hear you. I've been tempted to post "Free: one druggie, dog hoarding neighbour. Pickup only" on Kijiji and see if I got any replies.

Boy oh boy, some awfully handsome men on this thread! :lol:
My all-time favorite roo is, hands down, a tiny Wheaten Ameraucana bantam I christened Ling. :D Not only is he adorable in every way possible, very beautiful (in my eyes, anyway :p), a perfect gentleman who treats his hens with utmost respect (probably because if he didn't, they would have his hide ;)), but he isn't the least aggressive. Small children can chase and play with him without me worrying about their safety. This isn't to say he doesn't complain a little....:p Although his loud protests may give pretense that he's a very bitter, crabby boy, I think he secretly enjoys being snuggled in spite of what he says. ;) At 2 years of age, he's tried and true, therefore he's staying for as long as he lives.
DSCN4846.JPG

DSCN6025.JPG

Dream rooster? I'm in possession of him right now; he's an 8-week-old Crele OEGB, which I've wanted for quite some time. :D Let's just hope he makes the cut! Love my Mr. Man Thing. :)
DSCN6072.JPG

I made the mistake of giving away my Golden Sebright, Skipper, something I regret to this day. He would've turned out to be non-aggressive, and a great flock protector, but I overlooked these factors because he picked on one of our larger hens. Sadly, she ended up dying anyway not long afterwards. :( He was very beautiful in spite of being bad quality. :lol:
DSCN9523.JPG

~Alex

Here is my favorite cockerel Leo is a year old English Orpington. He is the sweetest and well mannered male I have. He will walk by you and do a soft coo sound to let you know he is next to you. Never has he attempted to dance or flog me. A gentle giant. He spoiled my ladies rotten only does the shoulder dance after the baby making process is complete and its just a soft dance, he tolerates being held, pet and hugged very well. If he didnt have the red leakage in his hackle feathers I would be showing him left and right. I can sit in the 1/4 acre run with them and he will come up look at me for treats and walk off. He knows I will not harm any of the girls. There are two other cocks in the same flock and he leaves them alone and they shy away with respect.

IMG_20180219_140222.jpg

Banty- I had a friend give me a little black silky, he was so friendly with one wonky feather that would dance back and forth, his name was Peanut. I could not keep him though my neighbor complained (crowing), He got rehomed to a nice family with many children. He was another rooster .... what am I saying, I want them all. Can I rehome my neighbor? haha kidding!

Back
Top Bottom