Whats better? Male or Female parakeet/cockatiels/lovebirds

• Female Parakeet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Female Lovebird

• Male lovebird

• Total voters
I've never had Lovebirds, but I've had Cockatiels and Parakeets. ❤❤ Both the males and females were wonderful birds, I couldn't pick one over the other 😍

This article might help you:
https://pets.thenest.com/lovebird-vs-budgie-vs-cockatiel-10787.html

Males are usually favoured as pets as some females of any species of bird can become chronic egg layers even in the absence of a male. This puts them at risk of egg binding and potentially death as their bodies are not designed to produce eggs constantly.

Day length stimulates them to lay eggs so it happens more with families who are out all day then keep their bird up late into the night rather than putting them in their cage and covering them up/making it dark at a reasonable hour.

Males can get hormonal in spring and may be cranky and a little bitey but if they are in a 'mood' you just put them in their cage to calm down and they are generally better after a little break. They may try and mate with whatever they are sitting on and if that's you then again, put them in their cage as that isn't something you want them to do on your person.

Our 2 cockatiel boys haven't tried any of that with us. One was cranky in spring but it didn't last long and the other uses things in his cage to satisfy any urges.

For a first bird, I would pick Cockatiels, either sex.

In my opinion, Cockatiels have the weakest beak/ least painful bite.

Also, I found that the Cockatiels I have had remained tame better than budgies (like if you go away for a week vacation).

Lovebirds bite harder than both budgies or Cockatiels, and are a bit more "big parrot" personality.

For a first bird, I would pick Cockatiels, either sex.

In my opinion, Cockatiels have the weakest beak/ least painful bite.

Also, I found that the Cockatiels I have had remained tame better than budgies (like if you go away for a week vacation).

Lovebirds bite harder than both budgies or Cockatiels, and are a bit more "big parrot" personality.
Thank you! Are there any cons to consider with Cockatiels?

Our cockatiel is the moodiest, brattiest, grumpiest, adorable thing on this earth! We love him but he prefers certain people. He is very territorial and barely lets us touch him when he is on his cage. He is sooooo quiet though! He doesn’t make calls or different a sounds but a couple times a day. A family member had one and he made many very different sounds all day. He sure is strange! I have no idea if any other cockatiels are like this, I’m sure it’s just a particular personality! We have had him for about 11-12 years and can’t image how empty the room will seem without him. Best of luck with your bird ventures!

Back
Top Bottom