What's going on here?

redheadfarmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 20, 2011
SW Ontario
My oldest chicken (Easter) has funny looking feet. They appear dry and cracked but she isn't limping or anything. Any ideas what this is or if it warrants any action on my part?

Her winter bedding was pine shavings and she had just moved to the outside coop. We are having crazy hot weather in SW Ontario right now.

That's scaly leg mites my dear! You are going to need to slather her legs up to the feathers with vaseline, vicks, vegetable oil, coconut oil, whatever oil, to smother the little buggers. You'll need to do this to all your birds daily for the next 10 days. Also, you'll need to clean out their coop, dust it and put in new bedding. Need to jump on it right away as it can get REALLY bad and it's starting to get there already!
D.gif

Thanks!

I will get the vaseline out tomorrow morning. The bedding has already been changed so at least that is covered. The other chickens don't have anything remotely close to that on their feet. Their feet look great. Her feet have looked like that for quite awhile (poor thing!).

Yes they are and luckily Easter has been in her own coop for the whole winter....just put her in with the sex linked last week...so I guess they all will get vaseline.

Back
Top Bottom