Whats the best for our 7 month old rooster?

Iloveourbabychick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
Hickory,NC
He lives in our house right now...We hatched him from an incubator.He has always been inside.He has never been around other chickens..He likes to watch cartoons and be friends with cats.lol
Thats all he knows..We built him a lil fence in our house.Tile on the floor and chicken wire around it and he likes it...He has a dog bed that he likes to think is a hen..He calls us when he eats...He had his first worm the other day...We dont know what to do..We dont know whats better for him.Should we keep him where hes at or should we find him another home where he can be outside in the dirt and be with hens.Bad part is tho he likes where he is...but we want whats best for him....HELP...whats best for our roo Happy?

Hes not the most affectionate guy in the world....He gets attitudes with us and he has backed me and my sis in the corners and tried to attack us.We all have peck marks are scares but i guess thats just part of being a rooster.

If he already is backing you into a corner that will more than likely only get worse the older he gets.

I think chickens are happier where they can be outside scratching in the dirt. I can't imagine one being happy living it's entire life inside by itself.

Quote:
Have you made sure he understands you are top of the pecking order? If he is backing you into a corner, I would guess probably not. You need to show him you are head rooster. Don't run or back away from him. Pick him up. Hold him. Pet him. Put him back into his pen.

Quote:
Sounds like he is treating you as his flock. Again, let him know who is boss. Don't respond when he calls you at feeding time. That just reinforces his opinion that he is the boss as you have come when he calls you, just like a hen would.

Many people have house chickens.

Good luck!

Hes happy...He doesnt know hes a chicken.Theres no husband involved its just me my mom and my sis.We have 3 dogs,2 cats,and a bunny.He dances up to us..If we have any emotion,he cheers us up.He has his own room..If we are upset out here he will crow..He knows if we get upset.We mention his name and he starts crowing.Hes so connected to us.He crows when he needs something.He roosts on Nascar goodyear tires.He crows to be taken off of his tires in the morning.

Hey if he seems happy, and you're happy with him, that's what counts. A lot of roosters have a worse life, like a date with the stew pot. He also may not adjust well socially to other chickens, but you could give it a try if you think he's lonely. One thing for sure--you've got to get us some pics and post them!

Back
Top Bottom