Whats the difference between back from paint breeding and black from black+black breeding?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
Okay, so I've seen a lot of people saying that they are using for example: a black rooster from paint breeding.
Does it make a difference though? Because as far as I know the dominant white from paint can't be recessive, so why does it matter if the black chicken's parents were black or paint. Can they inherent the quality of paint spots of their paint offspring? Why else would that matter?

I'm just making some breeding plans for my silkies in the future and I'm wondering if it matters if a black rooster came from black or paint breeding.

You are correct that Paint is simply the result of one copy of dominant white over a Black bird allowing black feathers to 'leak' through. I don't know if there are other genes at play that may cause better spotting or not, though, so maybe someone will chime in with more knowledge there.

There was a mistaken belief when Paint started to become a popular project variety that there was a 'paint gene' that caused the coloration and that could be carried in Blacks. I would guess that the posts you're seeing are either remnants of the time that people believed that, or from someone who doesn't know any better and is continuing to spread that misinformation. A Black from Paints should be the same as a Black from Blacks.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom