What's wrong with my rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ScareCrow67, Apr 4, 2017.

1. ScareCrow67

ScareCrow67 New Egg

Apr 4, 2017
    Missouri
    My rooster comb is starting to turn black and scabby [​IMG]

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    are there any other roosters in the flock? Are you seeing any changes in the combs of your hens... so this is what I am thinking could be from fighting/pecking, due to frost although that grass looks nice and green, or could be fungal which would require antifungal ointment... that's what comes to mind when I see this.

1 person likes this.
  3. BarredRockLady

BarredRockLady Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    Have your other chickens been picking on him?

4. gemma24

gemma24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2016
    CA
    his comb looks just like my roosters comb, (he some times gets pecked on by my other roo.) do you have another rooster?

5. ScareCrow67

ScareCrow67 New Egg

Apr 4, 2017
    Missouri
    There are 6 hen one male duck and one female duck I never seen my rooster get picked on

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    This could be caused by rubbing his head on something will roosting. How crowded is your roost boards? Are they too close to the top of the coop/pen? Is he rubbing his comb on wire or some other rough surface? My guess would be trauma from the other birds or trauma from hitting his comb on wire/wood when roosting. I rarely see my birds fight but I do see the result of it.

7. sassysarah123

sassysarah123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    That happened to all of my chickens when we got a buff orpington and placed her with my others they all started pecking each others combs, my hens combs started bleeding and when the blood dried that is what it looked like, it healed in a week or two. maybe he got into a fight with a hawk or something else.

8. ScareCrow67

ScareCrow67 New Egg

Apr 4, 2017
    Missouri
    Thank you all for the advice Scratches Comb is looking a lot better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by