Wheezing Chicken

janamacdon

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 14, 2016
Good morning BYC friends,

One of our girls has us completely perplexed, so I'm reaching out to all of you since you've been so helpful in the past.

We have a one-year-old hen. She's a cross between a Rhode Island Red and a White Rock. For almost two months, she has been wheezing and we have been working diligently to find the cause. No other birds in our flock are exhibiting these behaviors, but we have mostly separated her from the flock. She is lighter than the others, I'm guessing she's about 4lbs., but she is eating and drinking - mostly she will eat chicken food that has been softened (mush). Her poop looks mostly normal, sometimes we'll find an occasional runny poop.

We have taken her to the vet. At first, she was given a steroid to reduce inflammation and Ivermectin for possible mites (no change). Later, she was given prednisolone tabs 5mg (no change) and finally an antibiotic (Clavamox) - no change. There is no nasal discharge, but sometimes she will sneeze or shake her head. She did have numerous 1-2mm black spots on comb that have since gone away. The vet thinks they were likely due to her being sick. The vet considered that the wheezing could be allergies of some kind. Just yesterday, I removed all of her pine bedding and let her sleep on towels. She seemed slightly better this morning, but still wheezing. It may take time.

Is there anything we haven't considered? I'm completely at a loss as to how to help her. Aside from the wheezing, she's acting fine. Jumping on her box, eager to get outside and socialize, even laying eggs. Any advice you could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If this was an allergy, it seems the steroid med would have helped. But you could try children's liquid Benedryl and see what happens. The hitch in using Benedryl is that it's not possible to use it regularly as it has a toxic effect on chickens when too much too often is given. The dose is
.5ml, wait 24 hours and give another dose. That's all you should give.

There is a chance this is a fungus infection of the respiratory tract. I would definitely treat for it. Oxine is a safe anti-fungal/antibacterial. Use as a mister. Mix 1.5 oz to one quart water and put in a spray bottle and mist over her several times a day or mix 6.5oz to one gallon of water and use in a mister machine.

If this was an allergy, it seems the steroid med would have helped. But you could try children's liquid Benedryl and see what happens. The hitch in using Benedryl is that it's not possible to use it regularly as it has a toxic effect on chickens when too much too often is given. The dose is
.5ml, wait 24 hours and give another dose. That's all you should give.

There is a chance this is a fungus infection of the respiratory tract. I would definitely treat for it. Oxine is a safe anti-fungal/antibacterial. Use as a mister. Mix 1.5 oz to one quart water and put in a spray bottle and mist over her several times a day or mix 6.5oz to one gallon of water and use in a mister machine.
Thank you so much! Can I get oxine over the counter at Tractor Supply, or would this be a prescription from the vet?

What type of bedding do you use? How is the coop ventilation? Chickens have sensitive respiratory systems and aspergillosis might be a problem. It is a common mold fungus. There is no cure, except for removing any possible cause for the mold. As long as the chicken is doing okay, I would just watch it.

What type of bedding do you use? How is the coop ventilation? Chickens have sensitive respiratory systems and aspergillosis might be a problem. It is a common mold fungus. There is no cure, except for removing any possible cause for the mold. As long as the chicken is doing okay, I would just watch it.
Thank you! I use pine shavings for bedding and I think ventilation is okay. None of the other chickens are having any trouble. I isolated the wheezing hen and have removed all bedding and just put down towels. It's been a few days now and the wheezing persists. I'm going to try oxide that was recommended above and see if that helps. Maybe that would knock out any fungus infection.

If she is eating, drinking, active, and alert, but also wheezing, I would not worry a lot. You can treat with the oxine, but she may still wheeze. If she has a fungal infection such as aspergillosis, it may last for life. I hope she gets better, but there is no treatment for aspergillosis. It can seed throughout the body by traveling through the air sacs. There could be something partially blocking her airway. If you should lose her one day, it would be good to get a necropsy done by your state vet to look for what was wrong.

If she is eating, drinking, active, and alert, but also wheezing, I would not worry a lot. You can treat with the oxine, but she may still wheeze. If she has a fungal infection such as aspergillosis, it may last for life. I hope she gets better, but there is no treatment for aspergillosis. It can seed throughout the body by traveling through the air sacs. There could be something partially blocking her airway. If you should lose her one day, it would be good to get a necropsy done by your state vet to look for what was wrong.
Thank you. This is very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom