When to change the type of feed?

BigJ111

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2022
Estonia
Hi,

i'm fairly new with chicken keeping so I apologise if my question sounds stupid. We have four young hens, supposedly of the same age (but can't be 100% sure). One of them layed her first egg today, but not the 3 others yet. My question is how to do regarding the feed? Up to now they were on young hen feed, but I read that giving young hens some adult feed can be dangerous if they are not laying eggs yet because of the high calcium content. Considering I don't even know yet which one layed the egg, can I give the adult feed to all of them at this point? Or should I go on with the young feed until I'm sure all hens are laying eggs? (but then they would lack calcium to lay properly, no?)

Thanks in advance for your help

Relax, don't panic.

I usually recommend that the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management practices feed an All Flock/Flock Raiser* type crumble to all their birds, all their lives, with free choice grit, oyster shell, and fresh clean water available at all times in seperate dishes. Without regard to age, gender, onset of of lay, condition of molt, etc.

*Essentially an 18-20% protein, 3.5% fat+/-, 1.5% calcium +/-, 3.5% fiber +/- feed, preferably with about .6% Phosphorus, at least .35% Methionine, and .7% Lysine.

Because its easy for you, and its good nutrition for them. Crumble because the chicks can easily eat it to, but if you have a mixed gender all adult flock, pellet is fine. If you ferment, pellet is fine.

All of my adult birds - chickens and ducks - get exactly the same feed, which happens to be 20% protein. I feed my youngsters a higher protein mix for their first 6-8 weeks (basically, until they join the adult flock) as I have facilites to separate the flocks. My reasons for that are complicated, its not something I recommend for everyone. But All Flock, all the time, for all the birds of all the genders is a safe and easy way to raise chickens, ducks, geese. Doing something different has limited benefits in limited conditions, and should only be considered after weighing all practical options.

My flock is in my Sig, below. You can see the results of me feed regimen here.

Thanks for the very fast and detailed reply :). I tried to read articles or other threads here, but where it's confusing for me is that I live in Estonia, and here they don't call the food 'all flock' or 'layer'. It's literally just called 'chick', 'young hen' or 'laying hen'. At the moment they still have the 'young hen' crumbles/granules which is at 16% protein (but they get extra through mealworms for example) / 4% fat / 3,5% fiber / 6% ash and 1% calcium, 0,6% phosphorus.
The 'laying hen' feed is similar at every level apart from calcium at 4% and ash at 13%.

The all flock with oyster shells way of feeding is a great way of feeding.( It may be similar to feeding young hen food). I do that with my smaller flocks. If you are wanting to switch to layer food, this would be the appropriate time to do so. The danger of to much calcium for young birds is a build up over time so feeding the pullets the layer just before they lay would be fine.

Thanks for the very fast and detailed reply :). I tried to read articles or other threads here, but where it's confusing for me is that I live in Estonia, and here they don't call the food 'all flock' or 'layer'. It's literally just called 'chick', 'young hen' or 'laying hen'. At the moment they still have the 'young hen' crumbles/granules which is at 16% protein (but they get extra through mealworms for example) / 4% fat / 3,5% fiber / 6% ash and 1% calcium, 0,6% phosphorus.
The 'laying hen' feed is similar at every level apart from calcium at 4% and ash at 13%.
and THAT is why we often recommend puting your location in your profile.

The EU makes use of lower protein feeds than we do here in the US, and they make up the deficiency with the additon of synthetic amino acids, primarily L-Lysine and dl-Methionine. Unfortunately, and somewhat surprisingly, your guaranteed nutrition/feed labels are often not as detailed as our statutory minimums, which can made it hard to identify an appropriate feed across the pond.

I tried looking for products on Pro Grupp.ee 's site, but they don't have images of the labels from which I can make any recommendation.

and the way an MFG chooses to brand/characterize a particular formulation isn't nearly as valauble as the nutrition tag.

Last edited:
The all flock with oyster shells way of feeding is a great way of feeding.( It may be similar to feeding young hen food). I do that with my smaller flocks. If you are wanting to switch to layer food, this would be the appropriate time to do so. The danger of to much calcium for young birds is a build up over time so feeding the pullets the layer just before they lay would be fine.
Thank you. In itself, I wanted to change to layer food for 2 reasons: 1) because I thought that's what I had to do at some point 2) because the 'layer food' available to me is GMO free while the 'young hen food' is not. At least I know now it's still fine to give them the 'young hen' food even if they lay eggs (I still have a large bag of it, so no waste), as I have shells in stock as well. Then I can still consider my options a bit later.

Thank you. In itself, I wanted to change to layer food for 2 reasons: 1) because I thought that's what I had to do at some point 2) because the 'layer food' available to me is GMO free while the 'young hen food' is not. At least I know now it's still fine to give them the 'young hen' food even if they lay eggs (I still have a large bag of it, so no waste), as I have shells in stock as well. Then I can still consider my options a bit later.
Yes, you can absolutely continue with the young bird food, and suppliment calcium on the side.

and THAT is why we often recommend puting your location in your profile.

The EU makes use of lower protein feeds than we do here in the US, and they make up the deficiency with the additon of synthetic amino acids, primarily L-Lysine and dl-Methionine. Unfortunately, and somewhat surprisingly, your guaranteed nutrition/feed labels are often not as detailed as our statutory minimums, which can made it hard to identify an appropriate feed across the pond.

I tried looking for products on Pro Grupp.ee 's site, but they don't have images of the labels from which I can make any recommendaiton.
Yeah, sorry, I literally just created my account here, I haven't added all infos yet... Been using Scandagra as supplier as it's very local (they produce everything just a few miles away from where I live) and they have good reputation. ProGrupp, as far as I know, also mostly deals with farms, companies, not so much with regular people who just have a few birds.

Now I just have to translate into English, so i can read it! :) Plus a half dozen more like it

1. Analüütilised koostisosad kg kohta Kuivaine 88.2 % Na 1.7 g Metaboliseeruv energia 13 MJ Fe 71.1 mg Toorproteiin 20.3 % Cu 10.1 mg Toorrasv 9 % Zn 71.4 mg Toorkiud 3.7 % Mn 87.6 mg Toortuhk 6.4 % Co 0.03 mg Lüsiin 11.2 g Se 0.38 mg Metioniin 5 g I 0.52 mg Ca 10.1 g A-vitamiin 10500 IE P 8.5 g D-vitamiin 2600 IE Mineraalelemendid on toodud puhaste elementidena.

Ayhow, that's the older broiler mix above, too much fat for your purposes.

You can use this one all their lives.
1659195357944.png

Back
Top Bottom