When will my chickens start laying, when do I change their food

corthendo

Chirping
May 22, 2023
I have 3, 16 week BYM pullets and 3, 13 week pullets OE and BCM. I’m wondering how to tell if the older ones will start laying soon. Their faces have definitely gotten more red in the last couple days but they kinda stopped growing, the younger girls way surpassed them in size. I also wanted to know when to change their food and they are still on starter/grower but I’m not sure when to change it to layer if some are laying later than others. Pics of my older girls

Attachments

• D92F6339-ADED-4983-A06E-FA4DA855EC86.jpeg
    D92F6339-ADED-4983-A06E-FA4DA855EC86.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
  • 8C624C42-33B6-407E-8541-6974043AD5B4.jpeg
    8C624C42-33B6-407E-8541-6974043AD5B4.jpeg
    634.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 1095953F-97E2-400A-8AFD-7DFAE2B8224D.jpeg
    1095953F-97E2-400A-8AFD-7DFAE2B8224D.jpeg
    538.6 KB · Views: 7
I always feed an all flock/flock raiser with oyster shell on the side free choice. As for when they will start laying, I think you still have a little bit, try and be patient (I know it's hard, lol)
Feels like it’s taking forever lol I don’t have the nesting boxes set up with pads, not sure when I should put those in. I don’t want to waste them

So is it okay to wait to feed layer until they are all over 18 weeks?
If you provide a separate dish of oyster shell, they can safely eat chick starter or flock raiser for as long as you like, even for their entire lives.

The only special thing about layer feed is the amount of calcium (3 times as much as non-layers need.) Providing oyster shell separately is a way to let each chicken have as much calcium as she decides she needs. Most chickens are pretty good at choosing to eat the right amount of oyster shell when it is available free-choice in a separate dish.

Feels like it’s taking forever lol I don’t have the nesting boxes set up with pads, not sure when I should put those in. I don’t want to waste them
I know it! You can go ahead and set their boxes up now, it'll give them some time to explore them and get comfortable with them. I don't think they're going to do anything crazy to the nesting pads besides rearrange and fluff them (but you never know with chickens) you can always use straw, hay, or pine shavings in your nest boxes, any of those options are a lot cheaper than pads

Keep on starter till all are laying. Provide oyster shell on the side. At first I couldn't wait to switch over but don't be in a hurry. Remember the starter feed surpasses the layer in protein level which helps them through their teenage stage( bones reproductive system and adult feathers) . Only the ones that need it will eat the oyster shell.I know you can't wait till they lay :idunno, but I personally have one feeder with layer and another with all flock at all times and of course shell free range. . I have older hens and pullets too. Be patient and let us know when you get your 1st egg! :thumbsup

I always feed an all flock/flock raiser with oyster shell on the side free choice.
Same here.

I don’t have the nesting boxes set up with pads, not sure when I should put those in. I don’t want to waste them
Waste what?
Get the nests set up now, they can check them out and you can make sure they won't sleep in them at night.

Same here.

Waste what?
Get the nests set up now, they can check them out and you can make sure they won't sleep in them at night.
I was afraid they would get them all poopy before they actually start laying. I have the Eaton Pet and pasture nesting pads and they are kinda spendy lol.

Back
Top Bottom