Where / how to buy overstock rare breed male chicks?

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Meyer Hatchery has a 'fry pan special' where they bundle all the unsold male heavy breed chicks at a big discount. I think Cackle has something similar. I asked Meyer what they do with the rare breed males, like the Swedish Flower, that are not heavy. Meyer customer service was a bit evasive with the answer. Do they just cull these birds? Does anyone know where to get them at a discount?

Your local livestock auction is the best place to get rare breed roos for pennies in my experience - usually feathered out enough to know what they'll look like as adults if they're not full adolescents already. They seem to show up right before breeding age starts (which makes sense). People bring the extras in vs. eat them, just in case someone's looking. This is also a good way to get sexed bantams since those things breed like rats and people always have extras, both pullet and cockerel. Quarantine auction birds for at least a month if you go this route!

Last edited:
Your local livestock auction is the best place to get rare breed roos for pennies in my experience - usually feathered out enough to know what they'll look like as adults if they're not full adolescents already. They seem to show up right before breeding age starts (which makes sense). People bring the extras in vs. eat them, just in case someone's looking. This is also a good way to get sexed bantams since those things breed like rats and people always have extras, both pullet and cockerel. Quarantine auction birds for at least a month if you go this route!
Good idea.
Which diseases would the birds be quarantined for?

Back
Top Bottom