Where to buy pullets in Southern California?

PaisleeRose

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2017
Rialto, CA
Hello all! I am new to BYC and currently building our first coop!
ya.gif
I want the following breeds, but am having a hard time finding them in one location. (I heard its best to get them at once, rather than get new/possibly different sized ones later. Is this correct? How do you introduce silkies if they are smaller?)

Buff Orpington, Amerucauna, Wyandotte, Astrolorp, Silkies, Barred/Plymouth Rock

What are your favorite places to get started pullets?

I looked at mypetchicken.com (only have 4 of the 6 breeds), Murray (only have 4 of the 6), and Chickens Galore in Norco has had negative reviews lately so I want to stay away from them. I also heard its better to not get them off craigslist because you can't guarantee quality of care.

Am I overthinking it? Just want to be prepared!

Any and all advice welcomed!
smile.png

Last edited:
If you are getting chicks, you can add them for several weeks before it is a problem. If you really must have silkies, get them first.
Chicks haven't established a pecking order yet and they like friends. Give them plenty of space with one warm spot and they'll be fine.

Thanks for the reply @ChickenCanoe ! I was planning to get coop-ready pullets. At what age would you recommend not putting them together right away?

I've put birds together up to 10 weeks of age if I have lots of space. For instance, I've added eight 5 day old chicks to two 8 week old chicks.
However, if the space is limited and the younger birds are fewer in number, I wouldn't do that.
Do those sources you mentioned sell started pullets?

I've put birds together up to 10 weeks of age if I have lots of space. For instance, I've added eight 5 day old chicks to two 8 week old chicks.
However, if the space is limited and the younger birds are fewer in number, I wouldn't do that.
Do those sources you mentioned sell started pullets?
Yes, they sell started pullets. At what age do you put them in the coop? I am planning to get 6-8 chickens. My coop is 4'x8' and run is 8'x8'. Is that enough space?

Yes, they sell started pullets. At what age do you put them in the coop? I am planning to get 6-8 chickens. My coop is 4'x8' and run is 8'x8'. Is that enough space?

Agree with June.
Rule of thumb is minimum of 4 sq. ft. per bird in the building and 10 per bird in the run. There are many other variables. How much time are they in each and the breeds. Some are more tolerant of confinement than others.
Depending on ambient temperature, I've put them in the coop as early as the day they come out of the hatcher to 2 months. If you have electric in the coop, unless it is below freezing, they can go out right away if you have good heat sources.

Back
Top Bottom