classicsredone

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Crunchy California
I have Celiac, and I'm trying to reduce my exposure to gluten via chicken feed products. Just getting the dust down my nose and into my throat can leave me very sick, and I definitely do not enjoy purging like I am filming a remake of The Exorcist. I'd like to start fodder for my chickens, but I cannot use the wheat or barley that are most commonly used. (Technically I *could*, but having to wear a face mask only to immediately strip down and scrub from head to toe after feeding the chickens or mixing feed is, well, not ideal. Especially when my efforts fail, and I accidentally get some dust or sweat in my mouth.) I do sprout BOSS for the chickens, but it looks like BOSS isn't really used for the fodder sheets. What might be a good replacement for wheat and barley, without being prohibitively expensive?

I have this book:
9781603582902.jpg

and read it cover to cover before starting my current flock 6+ years ago. His is by far the most logical and comprehensive book on poultry management (for the back yard flockster) I've read. And, I've reviewed A LOT of books.

Roasted soy feed is gluten free if you can locate some that has no Wheat, rye or barley added. Call this guy : Jim Rhea 1-303-663-7115. I don't know if he still is, but he was marketing and selling roasted soy chicken all flock feed and he ships. You will need to ask if his feed has wheat or barley added. Perhaps he can order it milled with just the soy meal.

I did mention he ships the feed. But it may be cost prohibitive to FedEx from Colorado to Sacramento. Call him and ask. It's been several years since i ordered from him, so he may have other products.

I considered just going through Modesto Milling to order a gluten-free food, but there is no way that we would ever use that much food before it went bad. Does the guy you mentioned ship food? We are several states away and are in the most northern part of Sacramento county. My dad is out there for deer and elk, but he won't be until hunting season rolls around.
If I am not mistaken Modesto sells 50 pound bags.

You can sprout just about any grain or seed that is "edible". You might consider lentils (you can sprout the lentil seeds you buy at the grocer!) I usually sprout them for my own use. Millet is an other option. Can you use oats? BOSS is just fine to sprout, though it may be a bit high fat for regular use for your birds. But if you cut it with some of the other seeds mentioned, you should have a good mix. Any of the brassica seeds can be sprouted, and would yield a high quality fodder. Corn can be sprouted, but that would also be a high fat seed.

FYI, I feed at the sprout stage, when the nutrient level is at it's highest. I don't like to hold my sprouts to the fodder stage.

Last edited:
He could, but either way, the dust from the food still gets all over where the food is stored and in their enclosure. Due to some health issues, he ends up with the bulk of the chores as it is, so I really need to take the chores that I can handle. Feeding the chickens is one of them, so finding a safe food is important. One of our children is also genetically likely to develop Celiac at some point, so we try to limit his exposure as much as possible. I think that I need to ask the old timers what they used as fodder back in the day. I am working on a feed recipe and will try our local mill, but unless we find others or can sell off the extra, it probably won't be an affordable option. We'll need to find a pricey premade feed, or make one on our own. I can use the BOSS, but should find something like peas to balance out the fat in the BOSS with more protein.

Check out this website for gluetin free chicken food recipes. This may work for you.
https://curtissannmatlock.com/2012/08/09/gluten-free-chicken-feed-ii/
:hugs

I'd be interested to hear WHO calls Millet Sorghum. They are very different plants with very different seeds. Milo, or Sorghum is often used as a cheap filler in bird seed. Most birds will not eat it. I grew it one year, and my birds did enjoy eating the seed heads. The stuff grew 8' tall. I also grew millet back in the day when I had parakeets.

You might enjoy reading the works of Mr. Harvey Ussery. He has a website. (Google his name) and he does all kinds of fodders and alternative feeds....I believe it is called the "Modern Homestead" I have never done any of that myself but I use alot of his other techniques. He has all kinds of good ideas.

Most chicken feed is mostly corn anyway.... wheat is not particularly good for chickens or people.... There were studies that looked at mortality in meat birds that were raised on corn (most years) and a couple of years where corn was in short supply and wheat was substituted..... there were significantly higher losses to what they described as gastrointestinal causes.....in the flocks fed the wheat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom