classicsredone

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Crunchy California
I have Celiac, and I'm trying to reduce my exposure to gluten via chicken feed products. Just getting the dust down my nose and into my throat can leave me very sick, and I definitely do not enjoy purging like I am filming a remake of The Exorcist. I'd like to start fodder for my chickens, but I cannot use the wheat or barley that are most commonly used. (Technically I *could*, but having to wear a face mask only to immediately strip down and scrub from head to toe after feeding the chickens or mixing feed is, well, not ideal. Especially when my efforts fail, and I accidentally get some dust or sweat in my mouth.) I do sprout BOSS for the chickens, but it looks like BOSS isn't really used for the fodder sheets. What might be a good replacement for wheat and barley, without being prohibitively expensive?

Roasted soy feed is gluten free if you can locate some that has no Wheat, rye or barley added. Call this guy : Jim Rhea 1-303-663-7115. I don't know if he still is, but he was marketing and selling roasted soy chicken all flock feed and he ships. You will need to ask if his feed has wheat or barley added. Perhaps he can order it milled with just the soy meal.

Roasted soy feed is gluten free if you can locate some that has no Wheat, rye or barley added. Call this guy : Jim Rhea 1-303-663-7115. I don't know if he still is, but he was marketing and selling roasted soy chicken all flock feed and he ships. You will need to ask if his feed has wheat or barley added. Perhaps he can order it milled with just the soy meal.
I considered just going through Modesto Milling to order a gluten-free food, but there is no way that we would ever use that much food before it went bad. Does the guy you mentioned ship food? We are several states away and are in the most northern part of Sacramento county. My dad is out there for deer and elk, but he won't be until hunting season rolls around.

You may want to look at this sheet I am working on.
I can't remember off the top of my head who makes it but there is gluten free feeds out there.

Click on the link below in my signature to get to the google sheet.
(The one about feed)

I did mention he ships the feed. But it may be cost prohibitive to FedEx from Colorado to Sacramento. Call him and ask. It's been several years since i ordered from him, so he may have other products.

I considered just going through Modesto Milling to order a gluten-free food, but there is no way that we would ever use that much food before it went bad. Does the guy you mentioned ship food? We are several states away and are in the most northern part of Sacramento county. My dad is out there for deer and elk, but he won't be until hunting season rolls around.
If I am not mistaken Modesto sells 50 pound bags.

If I am not mistaken Modesto sells 50 pound bags.
They do, but this would have to be custom milled. I can't remember what their minimum is, but I do remember that when I did look last time, it was way too much food for the number of chickens that we own. My husband asked today at the feed store, but the lady that does the ordering was not in. She's supposed to be there later today when they open, so we'll see if we can pick her brain.

Back to the subject, though. I'm looking for what can be used as fodder if not wheat or barley. Is there anyone here that does not just wheat or barley, and grows fodder with another type of seed? Where do you obtain the seed?

They do, but this would have to be custom milled. I can't remember what their minimum is, but I do remember that when I did look last time, it was way too much food for the number of chickens that we own. My husband asked today at the feed store, but the lady that does the ordering was not in. She's supposed to be there later today when they open, so we'll see if we can pick her brain.

Back to the subject, though. I'm looking for what can be used as fodder if not wheat or barley. Is there anyone here that does not just wheat or barley, and grows fodder with another type of seed? Where do you obtain the seed?
Milo...
http://www.modestomilling.com/poultry.html

You can sprout just about any grain or seed that is "edible". You might consider lentils (you can sprout the lentil seeds you buy at the grocer!) I usually sprout them for my own use. Millet is an other option. Can you use oats? BOSS is just fine to sprout, though it may be a bit high fat for regular use for your birds. But if you cut it with some of the other seeds mentioned, you should have a good mix. Any of the brassica seeds can be sprouted, and would yield a high quality fodder. Corn can be sprouted, but that would also be a high fat seed.

FYI, I feed at the sprout stage, when the nutrient level is at it's highest. I don't like to hold my sprouts to the fodder stage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom