Kiki, you are so very right, and I am so very wrong. Sorghum is loosely related to what we commonly call millet, and is categorized as a type of millet! Thank you for correcting me. Last section covers Sorghum.

Millet species[edit]

Pearl millet

Thinai (foxtail) millet

Varagu (kodo) millet
The different species of millets are not necessarily closely related. All are members of the family Poaceae (the grasses) but can belong to different tribes or even subfamilies.

The most commonly cultivated millets are in bold and marked with an *.[4]

Eragrostideae tribe in the subfamily Chloridoideae:

Paniceae tribe in the subfamily Panicoideae:

Andropogoneae tribe also in the subfamily Panicoideae:

Oat groats. What you want is oat groats from a clean source. They sprout well, grow into a really nutrient rich feed and they are cheap because oats are grown so frequently. The trick is finding a clean source, which is hard to suggest. A lot of oats will be contaminated with or processed on equipment that processes other grains, but oats themselves are inherently gluten free.

Quinoa is expensive but will sprout. Peas and beans make for good sprouts, like mung beans or black eyed peas/cowpeas. Amaranth. Old timey flint corn.
The problem is, as I'm sure you're aware, most gluten free grains are expensive compared to glutenous ones and are frequently processed on the same equipment as glutenous grains. I can suggest brands for people-food friendly grains but they're expensive. Most animal feed isn't kept to those standards.

You might also consider things like finely chopped alfalfa as a food source. I feed my meat chickens wet alfalfa horse cubes in their fermented feed. They mold easily, though.

Oat groats. What you want is oat groats from a clean source. They sprout well, grow into a really nutrient rich feed and they are cheap because oats are grown so frequently. The trick is finding a clean source, which is hard to suggest. A lot of oats will be contaminated with or processed on equipment that processes other grains, but oats themselves are inherently gluten free.

Quinoa is expensive but will sprout. Peas and beans make for good sprouts, like mung beans or black eyed peas/cowpeas. Amaranth. Old timey flint corn.
The problem is, as I'm sure you're aware, most gluten free grains are expensive compared to glutenous ones and are frequently processed on the same equipment as glutenous grains. I can suggest brands for people-food friendly grains but they're expensive. Most animal feed isn't kept to those standards.

You might also consider things like finely chopped alfalfa as a food source. I feed my meat chickens wet alfalfa horse cubes in their fermented feed. They mold easily, though.

That's what I was looking for on the oats, it has to be oat groats, still with hulls I believe, not steamed, crimped or rolled oats.

azure standard is a good source for grains online

Check out this website for gluetin free chicken food recipes. This may work for you.
https://curtissannmatlock.com/2012/08/09/gluten-free-chicken-feed-ii/
:hugs

Thank you. I'm working on a recipe that based on what I can get locally, especially in the bulk department of Winco Grocery Stores. I'm currently working on the amino acid profile while maintaining the protein level, and a high omega 3 content without it being so much that the meat and eggs have an off flavor.

Right now it looks like this, but I have a long way to go. The current mix is being used as a sort of replacement for scratch. We need to make sure any holes in our fence are taken care of, that we get the bottom of the shed blocked off from chicks AND predators, and that we clip their wings before we let them roam around the backyard. To keep the birds active, I have been broadcasting the mix in the enclosure. Between the sprouts, fermented feed, and what for now is a supplement, the chickens are eating half as much of the commercial feed. They are six weeks and will start grower feed tomorrow.

Here is the recipe as it stands:
Black Oil Sunflower Seed (BOSS) - 1 part
Buckwheat - 1 part
Lentils, raw - 1 part
Millet, raw - 1 part
Mung beans, sprouted or soaked and dried - 1 part
Niger Thistle Seeds - 1 part
Nutritional Yeast Flakes - 1 part
Brown Flaxseed - 1 part
Peas, split, raw - green & yellow - 3 parts
Quinoa, raw - 1 part
Chia seeds, raw - 1 part
Pumpkin/Squash seed kernels, raw - 1 part

This provides 19% protein, 52% carbs, 29% fats. The amino acid score is 77 out of 100, so it is getting there. The Nutrient Density rating in the nutrition calculator (or humans) is 4.2 out of 5. There is a good ratio of Omega 3: Omega 6 at about 1:1. If you were to make 1 part = 100 grams, this recipe would have 241 grams of fiber; 179 grams of fat including 41,426 mg of Omega-3 fatty acids, and 273 grams of protein. It is a great source of many vitamins and minerals, especially B vitamins, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, manganese, selenium, and so much more. I generally use some greens to balance out the nutrition, especially in winter, and sprout what I can. I start my chickens on cheap birdseed that has been sprouted, and the move to BOSS and other seeds. I also like to use herbs and fermented foods to help improve immunity, reduce the stink from their poo, prevent mites, encourage laying, amongst other reasons. It may take some time, but figuring out a healthy feed that is safe for me to mix and use is important. I don't want to have to worry about showering immediately after holding a chicken, simply because it requires so little gluten to do damage. (It can do damage to the gut without you even knowing...this can cause horrible issues that take a long time to fix, and it also makes you much more likely to have bowel cancer at some point. It only takes a smidge over 20ppm to do that damage. That is the content of one "gluten-free" soda. Parenthesis because the government allows food to be labeled gluten-free if under 20ppm.)

Back
Top Bottom