Wandering_r0gue

Songster
Apr 11, 2023
SW Manitoba, Canada
I have a question for anyone who can answer...

The last four eggs that have hatched, all late, have been pure white quail, and smaller than most that have hatched so far. I have also had to help 2 of them hatch as there were shell issues trapping them in.

The question: is there anything in the genetics of White Coturnix that would account for this, or did I just have a weird occurrence?

They all seem to be doing well and are feisty.

Thanks for any input anyone has.

I got them from a breeder near Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada. I had one hatcmch early on that is much larger, but the last 4 have been small and late.

I don't have pictures of the most recent as it has just hatched. But 4/5 hatched on day 20 and 21.

Attachments

• 20230411_102338.jpg
    20230411_102338.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230411_150315.jpg
    20230411_150315.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230412_154002.jpg
    IMG_20230412_154002.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230412_153958.jpg
    IMG_20230412_153958.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
UPDATE. I asked the breeder, and didn't really get much of an answer, other than "they're usually late for a reason"... still just find it interesting that the last 4 in a row would be whites, and the only ones that needed help.

I think it was just the 'luck of the draw', so to speak....don't think it's genetics, most likely there were temperature issues, which you indicated by the late hatch. This will often cause problems with development, hatching and the viability of the embryos and chicks...what most people would call weak chicks isn't genetical, it's a results of inadequate temperature throughout the incubation process.

Although
, English whites do seem to have more issues than other Coturnix variety. They seem to be weaker, in general.

I think it was just the 'luck of the draw', so to speak....don't think it's genetics, most likely there were temperature issues, which you indicated by the late hatch. This will often cause problems with development, hatching and the viability of the embryos and chicks...what most people would call weak chicks isn't genetical, it's a results of inadequate temperature throughout the incubation process.

Although
, English whites do seem to have more issues than other Coturnix variety. They seem to be weaker, in general.
Although, English whites do seem to have more issues than other Coturnix variety. They seem to be weaker, in general.
That is more what I was looking for. I think it would be beyond weird to have ALL the chicks effected by external issues be the same color/genetics line. That's what lead me to believe that it likely had more to do with that line. If they had all been assorted, I would have been more likely to account it to "User errors"

Thanks for the response @007Sean

Back
Top Bottom