White mold on ground

Joedeann

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2020
Virginia
Hello, new to this site and chicken raising. Y’all are SO informative and helpful.. Thank you!!
I only have two, one rooster with special needs
2 1/2 months and a hen 1 1/2 months. I am finding the white fluffy looking mold in the pen (in the dirt) I wipe it out as soon as I see it. Any suggestions on what I can put down/use to treat. Thanks in advance!

What are you using for bedding in the run? Some options are more absorbent and better draining than others.

Mold usually indicates some kind of water problem. Has it been raining a lot where you are?

Does rain water run through the chicken area in a certain channel? Does it collect in a low spot? Is there a spring or a seep in the chicken area?

Grass swales, French drains, and grading the area so that water drains away instead of collecting will help with excess moisture. Covering the run with a roof can help if the problem is heavy, seasonal rainfall.

You can put your general location into your profile to help people give targeted advice for your particular climate. :)

Virginia, yes lots of rain lately... it’s dirt, has a roof.. what should I use to put down? How often should I replace? Thank you!

Please post some pics of your run....and the mold.
Is it in the shade or does it get some sun?

Virginia, yes lots of rain lately
Welcome to BYC! @Joedeann
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1597436603522.png

Virginia, yes lots of rain lately... it’s dirt, has a roof.. what should I use to put down? How often should I replace? Thank you!
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I live in the PNW and have experienced exactly what you are describing, It was caused by shrapnel from feeder hitting the ground but no traffic or not enough disturbance of the ground underneath. I do semi deep litter now and no longer experience it. Semi- is never really wet enough to achieve the same thing deep litter does.. but more my style and works well for MY location especially. I now fill my run with shavings, pine needles, bark, leaves, grass clippings etc.. this is more like the forest floor.. fluffy, and drains well without compacting and no more funky stink around the wet edges during the rain season as well as no more weird growth.. Bare ground is a breeding ground for bacteria, according to my understanding.. and what I described basically invites ore organisms to the party to keep it more of a balanced ecosystem.

It looks a lot like fluffy SCOBY, would be my description and maybe more a yeast growth than mold.

Large particle bark to fill your covered run..

Special needs anything is a special sort of blessing AND challenge. Hope you find all the help you need, hang in there! :fl

ETA: SCOBY. symbiotic co-existence of yeast and bacteria. Also, I haven't replaced mine yet and need to keep adding to it continually. Otherwise, as needed.

Last edited:
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I live in the PNW and have experienced exactly what you are describing, It was caused by shrapnel from feeder hitting the ground but no traffic or not enough disturbance of the ground underneath. I do semi deep litter now and no longer experience it. Semi- is never really wet enough to achieve the same thing deep litter does.. but more my style and works well for MY location especially. I now fill my run with shavings, pine needles, bark, leaves, grass clippings etc.. this is more like the forest floor.. fluffy, and drains well without compacting and no more funky stink around the wet edges during the rain season as well as no more weird growth.. Bare ground is a breeding ground for bacteria, according to my understanding.. and what I described basically invites ore organisms to the party to keep it more of a balanced ecosystem.

It looks a lot like fluffy SCOBY, would be my description and maybe more a yeast growth than mold.

Large particle bark to fill your covered run..

Special needs anything is a special sort of blessing AND challenge. Hope you find all the help you need, hang in there! :fl

ETA: SCOBY. symbiotic co-existence of yeast and bacteria. Also, I haven't replaced mine yet and need to keep adding to it continually. Otherwise, as needed.
Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom