Whitey the tough duck (owl attack)

PeaChick C

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Oskaloosa, Iowa
My all white duck, apply named 'Whitey the Duck', got attacked by an owl last night. We found her under the duck coop in a pool of blood being pertected by the big drake.

After examining her in the garage, we found some puncure wounds on her side, blood coming out of her beed and a horrible gurggling sound when she breaths. I didn't think she would make it through the night.

This morning I found her in the box I'd left her in doing much better. Her breathing is much improved, no more blood coming out of her mouth, and when offered water and feed she ate. I still fear she won't make it.

My question, what do I do I now? Do I put liquid stiches on the wounds? I have PEN G for chickens and guineas. Do I give her a shot? Or do I just keep her isolated and hope she gets better?

Well as someone who lost a crap ton of birds to a breeding pair of owls I'd say your first item of business is making sure this doesn't happen again.

Owls kill by ripping their prey's head off. We had one chicken survive an attempted beheading but she suffered neurological damage and eventually died anyway. I'd say the owl was certainly working on getting your ducks head off.

I'd clean the wounds and put some antibacterial on them. I think the biggest worry is probably going to be how much damage he did to her neck/spine. Keep us updated!

UPDATE: Whitey is doing really well. We gave her a warm bath with vinegar and looked her over. She had a puncher wound on her throat (the source of the blood coming from her bill and the gurgle) but it had closed up really well. A wound on her back that isn't deep but has a gooy look to it. We gave her a shot of penicillin and dried her off. She is eating, drinking and all her plumbing seems to work since she filled our tub with poo. She really perted up and was moving better so let her out with her buddies in the run. She ate and went in with them for the night.

I was still pretty nervous when I opened the duck box this morning. But she came right out with the others and seems to be doing great. I am concerned about the gooy sore on her back. Should I disturb it? Put anything on it? And I don't know when or if I should give her another pen g shot. I am not letting them out of their run this morning and will reveluate them after work.

Suggestions?

UPDATE: Whitey is doing really well. We gave her a warm bath with vinegar and looked her over. She had a puncher wound on her throat (the source of the blood coming from her bill and the gurgle) but it had closed up really well. A wound on her back that isn't deep but has a gooy look to it. We gave her a shot of penicillin and dried her off. She is eating, drinking and all her plumbing seems to work since she filled our tub with poo. She really perted up and was moving better so let her out with her buddies in the run. She ate and went in with them for the night.

I was still pretty nervous when I opened the duck box this morning. But she came right out with the others and seems to be doing great. I am concerned about the gooy sore on her back. Should I disturb it? Put anything on it? And I don't know when or if I should give her another pen g shot. I am not letting them out of their run this morning and will reveluate them after work.

Suggestions?
Not sure if you have flies yet but maggots are what you have to watch out for, I'd keep her where they can't get to her because maggots are awful to get rid of and will kill her. there is something you can buy at the feed store to keep the flies off it's called Swat and can help to keep the flies off and from laying eggs in the wounds, glad she is recoving.

I am pleased to report that Whitey the duck has made a complete recovery and is now out and about with her duck friends. Even her little limp is gone. Ducks sure are tough. You can't even find where the puncture was on her throat anymore.

I am pleased to report that Whitey the duck has made a complete recovery and is now out and about with her duck friends. Even her little limp is gone. Ducks sure are tough. You can't even find where the puncture was on her throat anymore.
Great news!!! thanks for letting us know!

Out with the others and doing great! (Whitey is the white one!)
thumbsup.gif
I know your relieved

Back
Top Bottom