Whiting True Blue Chat Thread!

Pics
Does anyone know if the Whiting True Blue chickens are the same as Arkansas Blue chickens. If there is a difference, I’m very curious to know about it.
thanks
Dave

From what I've read/researched they're different ... WTB were started at the Whiting Farm for their feathers/fly fishing lures ... Leghorn/Aruacana mix although McMurray has the WTG which they're "breeding".
The Arkansas Blue are supposedly Leghorn/Aruacana mix ... After the blue egg color.
Partridge Blue was developed at Hoover University, no clue on the mix but after the blue egg color also.

Have been finding out that hatcheries are having their own "mixes" for colored eggs.

From what I've read/researched they're different ... WTB were started at the Whiting Farm for their feathers/fly fishing lures ... Leghorn/Aruacana mix although McMurray has the WTG which they're "breeding".
The Arkansas Blue are supposedly Leghorn/Aruacana mix ... After the blue egg color.
Partridge Blue was developed at Hoover University, no clue on the mix but after the blue egg color also.

Have been finding out that hatcheries are having their own "mixes" for colored eggs.
Thank you so much. This is very interesting to me. Are there hatcheries that sell the Arkansas Blues that you know of?
Thanks again.

Hi all and happy Easter!
I had 5 Whitings, I'm down to 3 now.
They fly - high. One flew as high as my roof, and I've had a struggle containing them. Clipped wings (now I know how to do that), installed higher fencing (they laughed) and gave up. If they get out, they get out. The area they have is huge and not suited to top enclosure.
So. Having said all that, they are wonderful. Their eggs have been consistently large and blue, none have gone broody and they were first out of their moult. Their demeanor is sweet but skittish (don't get near me!!!!!). They're a smaller bird, and I have several heavy breeds and they look teeny by comparison (flock size 12).
I'm less about the "breed" and more about eggs, and my customers LOVE the blue eggs. I'm ordering more chicks to take over laying as my current flock will be 2 years old this summer and will start to slow down eventually.
I've had maybe 10 different breeds over the years, and I like the Whiting alot. Several others I wouldn't have again, so I'm happy to have found one I like this well.

Have you tried the WTG? I find their eggs "larger & heavier" than the WTB ... They are more consistent layers in my case. Mine are confined so haven't really noticed their flying ability ... I have 2WTG & 2WTB in a 8 x 12 x 7 Chicken House. They are as "friendly" as I like them, one of the WTB loves pecking at my back when I bend to feed. As chicks they all loved flying up to my back/shoulder. They're about as "difficult" to catch as the other breeds I've had; Orps, Wyandottes, RIR, Australorps & EEs.

I love the Orps but if I were to ever get more to add to my flock, I'd get more WTGs. The single combs are WTG & the pea are WTB
2020 Whitings - 02 NB Quad (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom