Whiting True Blue

Do you guys know if the WTB have the zinc white gene? It causes the chalky white layer on White Leghorn eggs, and also it's in my Prairie Bluebells, and causes a chalky white film on the blue eggs. [In contrast, my Starlight Green Egger eggs are shiny and olive/green, so they don't have this gene.]

I think the breeder included it in PBB because it stops the brown egg genes from expressing (?), which means my PBB are (may be?) heterozygous for blue eggs.
Hmmmm, this is interesting! One of mine does occasionally have a similar sounding white coating. Mine are very reliable layers and the eggs are all practically the exact same in colour, size, etc. One lays a slightly rough egg or I couldn’t tell any apart lol. Pretty sure I have 5 right now? Their only pullet olive egger I hatched last year is also an early and consistent layer

Hmmmm, this is interesting! One of mine does occasionally have a similar sounding white coating. Mine are very reliable layers and the eggs are all practically the exact same in colour, size, etc. One lays a slightly rough egg or I couldn’t tell any apart lol. Pretty sure I have 5 right now? Their only pullet olive egger I hatched last year is also an early and consistent layer
This sounds promising. I want high production, large or extra large eggs, with a nice rich blue color, with repeatable shape and size. Also I want to breed green and olive eggers, and I think the zinc white gene would mess that up. Sounds like WTB may be what I want. (sure hope so!)

This sounds promising. I want high production, large or extra large eggs, with a nice rich blue color, with repeatable shape and size. Also I want to breed green and olive eggers, and I think the zinc white gene would mess that up. Sounds like WTB may be what I want. (sure hope so!)
I'm not sure about the gene you're talking about (I'm just not there yet with genetics, lol) mine lays a very consistent color and shape, definitely not xl, but not medium. Has never had a heavy bloom, but does have the occasional calcium deposits on her eggs these days. They do breed true for egg color and any brown layer you mix them with will produce offspring that lay some variation of green

Back
Top Bottom