Who Are You???

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
We had 22 chickens, 3 of whom were roos. I knew we needed to cull, but the two roos were the other roo's children so dominance was established.

Tonight DH came in and said the 4 roos were fighting too much.

I said 4???

So I go out to see what's up. I find a big hole in the fencing of my run. 19 chickens one of whom is a brown roo I have never seen in my life!!!

What??

Thoughts?

What the hey happened in my coop today?

Good question! Have you found the missing birds? I think you might have had a two legged predator come calling. They took some laying hens but left an unwanted roo for you. Big of them. First I'd fix the run. Then I'd file a police report for good measure and install a wildlife cam. Sorry for your losses.

One of my family members used to keep some geese next to a highway. He started off with 3. Over the course of a year he ended up with over 30 geese. He said every couple days a new pair or trio would suddenly appear in his yard. All domesticated geese, so it wasn't like they were migrating in from the wild. People were dumping them in his yard. It was a very delicious Christmas season that year.

do u have a pic of the damaged fence? is your coop locked? wondering why a person would break into the fencing instead of opening a gate. but if not a person...where did the roo come from? strange.

I agree with your kids. Its up to you to make 1st contact. The Human race is counting on you.
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Well then we're done for. Because once I clarified that he did not belong to my immediate neighbor I put him on death row.
lol.png
His sentence had not been carried out yet.

I suspect that the roos were fighting "through" the fence and tore it all up. Once they tore the hole in it the hens escaped and the new roo broke in. Question is where did he come from? He's a handsome fellow actually. Fairly young looks to be mostly Rhode Island Red. But, his presence is really messing up the flock. He and the other spare two roos are soon to return their energy to the collective.
gig.gif
D.gif

I used to free range, but I lost way too many to predation. I suspect if those two hens got out they didn't last long.
he.gif

First contact isn't going well!!
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
How do you say SOUP in Klingon??
hide.gif

I have heard from a friend that her brother in law drove his roo far away to somebody's yard who had chickens, he slipped his very large unwanted roo under their fence and heard a major ruckus (of course! the resident chickens and roo didn't need/want him around, of that I am sure). I told her her brother in law is a jerk!!!!!!!!!
duc.gif

Quote:
thats just a plain awful thing to have done.
i had someone drop off an unwanted cat last winter. it was below freezzing. and i hear what sounds to be a cat outside. (we dont have any cats) so i go outside and in my sight, is a cat. i cant keep cats (hubby is allergic) so i brought the cat down to the petco in my town. do you believe the owner of the cat (dont know the whole complete story on that) didnt come down to get their cat for like 2 days. the figured out who owned that cat by the tracking system chip placed in the cat.
i think i had pictures and posted it on byc a few years back. some people just dont care. wether it be a cat or chicken.
sad.png

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Quote:
Well then we're done for. Because once I clarified that he did not belong to my immediate neighbor I put him on death row.
lol.png
His sentence had not been carried out yet. (Snipped) He and the other spare two roos are soon to return their energy to the collective.

First contact isn't going well!!
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
How do you say SOUP in Klingon??
hide.gif

Hey! Where's your Universal Translator?

But slightly more seriously, I'm going to post your question on my Face Book page and see how many responses I get.

I hope your intruder tastes great. That'll teach them to infiltrate while dressed as a chicken!​

What kind of material do you use for your run? If it's chicken wire they could have fought through it, but if it's hardware cloth I'm going with CMV.

Back
Top Bottom