Who has duckling fever? Help me!

Quote:
I hope you can sell them all sometime kuntrygirl.

Thank you for the kind words. This year's hatch was a lot of males.
hit.gif

Oh! I feel sooo bad for you

CAlgal98....my husband has a solution for our three drakes (since they don't lay eggs), says they should be dinner. He also says they are my ducks, so I get to butcher them. My response....it will be a cold day in_____ when I butcher my ducks. But he already knew that coming into this. He actually is surprised that I can eat the eggs....okay, I admit it. I feel guilty when I take the eggs from Peeps, only remove them when she is out of the duck house, and did take some self talk to convince myself to eat the eggs. I named them...the drakes have better personalities and are more people friendly than the hens. How could I butcher them? Can't even convince myself to give them a new home. Husband is
he.gif
So far we haven't had any major behavior issues (equal drakes to hens ratio instead of 1:4 recommended). We do have two duck houses - one for drakes, one for hens.

Note: There is a trade off to keeping my drakes....no more hens. Six in the limit....but maybe I might manage one more hen in the duck (hen) house next Spring. Not sure I could eat them even if I was hungry
sad.png

Last edited:
[[[[........Does anyone eat (I know bad word) their ducks?......]]]]]

Yes, of course. Lots of people really love roast duck. Duck is much more delicious than chicken.

If you'd like to discuss raising ducks for meat, wander on over to the meat bird forum.

And duck eggs. Oh my. The very best for baking.

Hey DUCKGIRL89. Remember when I said I was going to wait until next spring to get ducks. Yeah, that might be changing. My friends unfortunetly lost a duck (most likely to a predator, but they never found him). And that was their only male, so they had 7 fertile duck eggs from before he went M.I.A. So they are going to incubate those eggs, and whatever is not male I will be getting.

hide.gif
Not sure if I am ready for this, but I am not going to turn down free ducks.
idunno.gif

Is 60 ducks planned as winter keepers is just a little over
love.gif
, did you actually think I would say the BAD word?
tongue.gif
Nope! Their Big Splash pools are visible from my computer window.
These are my multi colored eye candy, even sick lil Qwade.
love.gif

50039_qwade1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom