Whose been spurred???

Quote:
We use a small hacksaw. Leave about 1/2 inch or so from the leg. They will bleed a bit. If you tap them with something on the tip a few times before cutting, it will minimize the blood. (have a helper hold the bird while you do this, will make it easier)

Keeping spurs short will also minimize the feather damage that a roo can cause his hens when he tops them.

txdane mom, Slifer was my crowing hen...she was a Light Brahma/Leghorn mix. and humungous to boot!
This was from when she had first come here.
FuzzyBuddy2.jpg

This sorta shows how big she was...Jerry's standing on the stairs and Obelisk is in front of her standing on the floor.
3-fer.jpg

She reminds me of my MJ, my Mottle Java pullet. MJ is a pistol, she bows up everytime I open the breeding cage to grab her eggs. She even has spurs. LOL

-Kim

When I was about 9 I had my shirt ripped right off my back :mad: Shreeded!! Its kinda of funny really. I went running towards the house and my papaw said "you still runnin from that rooster?" I said "No, I runnin to my shotgun!!" That particular rooster went the way of the dodo minutes later..Got spured last week by a big whiterock..

Quote:
*Imagines shirtless 9 year old running BACK across the yard armed with a shotgun*

-Kim

Oh yes I was... I still have a 2" scar on my back from 40 year ago.

It was a RIR roo. I went in with grandma to get eggs and he came running at me flapping up at my face and I turned my back and he got me good.

Grandma killed him and we ate him. I was 5 years old at the time. even after that, I was never afraid of them. But I will never own a RIR roo.

Gosh ya'll are making me scared to let my kids in w/my roos now! But no, my roos are generally handled by my kids so much I am not worried. HOWEVER they are no longer allowed in the aviary (where 1/2 is for my Barred rocks 1/2 is for my Blue Rocks/Rouens) b/c I am scared of those phesants attacking them. Although the phesants have really settled in. They've calmed down alot. I mean they didn't know me from Adam & I was just all reaching in & grabbing them, so they had the right to be scared.

I have a salmon faverolle rooster that is as good as gold. He is very nice. I have a black orp cockerel who is turning out the same way. Don't stew them just for being roos, stew them for being mean if they are.

Quote:
ok I just saw this...DEAD rooster WALKING

Oh yeah... dead rooster walking... he signed his own death warrant this morning by tagging me again. I had slip-on shoes this morning, and I saw him coming so I kicked my foot out at him to scare him off, and my shoe went flying. So I hopped over to get my shoe, and apparently he saw that as a "bring it on" maneuver and came at me again while I was picking up my shoe and got me on the inside of my left knee - broke the skin this time. :mad: But this is the first time that he kept coming at me. I can't let anyone else in the pen, now - he's too agressive and too big. Hubby doesn't know yet, but I can guarantee we're having chicken for dinner tomorrow night. His replacement is in the breeder pen already.

Back
Top Bottom