Why I need to spay/neuter cats

Frosty

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 30, 2008
ND
I have an ongoing project to spay/neuter the barn cats. One cat got pregnant and had six kittens, normal here is one litter a year. I was waiting for her to quit lactating so that I could get her spayed. Before that happened, she was pregnant again and had her kittens last night. This time she had EIGHT kittens so this one cat has produced FOURTEEN kittens just this year!
th.gif
Needless to say, she is locked in a spare room and won't be allowed outside until she is spayed.

Good for you! You're taking on the responsibility of a good animal owner.
thumbsup.gif

I just had a thought: why not catch the male (s) and neuter them first which would give you time to do the females.

Last edited:
Been getting a bunch of my males done but need to focus more on the females. They are the kitten producing machines and I have no idea why they seem to want to have litters of six... isn't 4 more normal? Dad isn't mine judging by color... they look like a male that comes around now and then and I'm not getting him neutered. He is really nasty and attacks my cats, especially the spayed and neutered cats. When I do get him... he won't bother my cats again.

I think most litters are around 6 especially after the moms have a few-great for you doing this though. Dont you guys have a spay/neuter day for greatly reduced or free there? That really helps tons of country people here in Kansas, plus I know our shelters send litters of barn kittens to farms already neutered/spayed and have their shots-thats a great program too

The shelter has coupons to reduce the cost now and then, but by the time I see the ad they are all taken. I think my best bet would be to contact the vets office and see if I can get a bulk discount. They joke that if I got rid of my critters, they would have to lay a tech off.

Edited to add: I should change her name to that! Her name is Wildebeast...

Last edited:
Toast'n Jelly :

Good for you! You're taking on the responsibility of a good animal owner.
thumbsup.gif

I just had a thought: why not catch the male (s) and neuter them first which would give you time to do the females.

LOL that reminds me of my favorite "so far out" joke.
I live So Far Out in the sticks I need my own tomcat to get kittens.

Frosty, could you ask the shelter to call you when they have the coupons or call you when they get them in? No harm in asking.​

We have a mama cat here that I need to spay but she will not stay inside. I'm so scared she's going to get pregnant again before I scrape up the money to get all of our rescues fixed (2 other kittens and one of the mama's kittens). She had 7 kittens and only 3 were born alive.
sad.png

If you neuter the males and not the females the females will find a male cat when they come in heat. Sometimes males (dog or cat) can smell a female a mile away and show up at your house. It really does no good to neuter just the males. Females first and then you get what males you can.

Back
Top Bottom