Why is my Muscovy hen being so aggressive??

Ellyhutch

Songster
Dec 15, 2020
My dear Muscovy, Cheech, has developed some concerning behavior in the past 24 hours. She's been more vocal and a bit needier of my attention than usual, and now she's attacking my 3 youngest. They were introduced and started sharing and run and coop in August. Since then, she's basically ignored them if not been downright scared of them. Since last night, she's now started attacking them, my Golden 300 in particular. What the hell is going on? Is this normal or do I need to remove her?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aUiM2T4ksEwGY8y5A

If she's drawing blood try removing the three she's picking on. If she continues picking take her out for a week or so and then add her back in. That's what I would do 😁 good luck!

If she's drawing blood try removing the three she's picking on. If she continues picking take her out for a week or so and then add her back in. That's what I would do 😁 good luck!
No blood being drawn so far or really any feathers coming out other than downy ones. I am worried about her picking on my runty Khaki Campbell who already compulsively picks out her own feathers at the back of her neck. I will say the younger ones seem to be baiting her a bit, so she's kind of on the defense. But it's so weird because she wanted nothing to do with them since literally yesterday.

It must be in the air. My dominant muscovy hen has been doing the same to the runner ducks. I separated her for a few days because the one duck's face was swollen. She seems to be behaving today. I haven't seen any chasing today.
It is a dominant behavior and maybe she sees the others as a threat to her flock status.
If there are any wounds or swelling, I'd separate at least for a day or two. Otherwise, it's got to work out between the ducks.

It must be in the air. My dominant muscovy hen has been doing the same to the runner ducks. I separated her for a few days because the one duck's face was swollen. She seems to be behaving today. I haven't seen any chasing today.
It is a dominant behavior and maybe she sees the others as a threat to her flock status.
If there are any wounds or swelling, I'd separate at least for a day or two. Otherwise, it's got to work out between the ducks.
I guess yesterday was the day she decided she was the dominant hen lol. Only took 3 months. Perhaps she's getting ready to finally start laying again (she hasn't popped out an egg since early June) and is feeling protective of her mate. Fascinating and a little upsetting to observe!

I guess yesterday was the day she decided she was the dominant hen lol. Only took 3 months. Perhaps she's getting ready to finally start laying again (she hasn't popped out an egg since early June) and is feeling protective of her mate. Fascinating and a little upsetting to observe!
My girl wasn't the dominant one initially either. After the 1st year something clicked and since then they all know she's the mean girl. In my instance, she is most likely making sure the runners know this. But, they are so delicate compared to muscovy, she's a bit rough on them.

My girl wasn't the dominant one initially either. After the 1st year something clicked and since then they all know she's the mean girl. In my instance, she is most likely making sure the runners know this. But, they are so delicate compared to muscovy, she's a bit rough on them.
She's so strong! Did you see that last jump on them in my video?? It's not a fair fight at all!!!

No blood being drawn so far or really any feathers coming out other than downy ones. I am worried about her picking on my runty Khaki Campbell who already compulsively picks out her own feathers at the back of her neck. I will say the younger ones seem to be baiting her a bit, so she's kind of on the defense. But it's so weird because she wanted nothing to do with them since literally yesterday.
Maybe they just bothered her or something. Of there baiting her and not doing their best to stay clear of her, then it's really their own fault and ducks and definitely smart enough to know to stay clear. My ducks rough up the chickens now and then (their Pekin ducks) but the hens have learned not to get in the way of the ducks. The ducks have gotten much nicer with them as time has gone by. She's probably just showing them whose boss now that they've worked their way to the pecking order 😊

Back
Top Bottom