Why Rake?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Redcatcher, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I've raked leaves for my entire life because I was taught to and always felt it was the thing to do. The past couple of years, however, I've skipped doing it and was amazed how quickly they all decompose and return to the soil. For those with neighbors who get all bent out of shape if the leaves blow onto their property, I can understand the need to rake, and for those with compost heaps, it makes sense. They may be unsightly (to some people) but it's all temporary. Though I suppose it depends on the type of leaf... Oak leaves take a lot longer than most other leaves to decompose.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Why rake? Only because the Princess nags the devil out of me if I don't. [​IMG] Actually, I mow and bag them. Takes a while , but it is easier on my back [​IMG] than raking.

3. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    We have never raked leaves, just mow over them, and our yard stays thick and green. [​IMG]

4. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I just mow them too [​IMG]

5. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    I mow them, then collect them for the garden!

6. chickendiva25

chickendiva25 I'm a Spy. :3

I've never had to rake leaves. [​IMG] I live too far out in the country for people to care, our yard is way too big, and there are practicley no trees except out in our woods. [​IMG] I would like to try mowing over leaves though, sounds fun. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I rake mine only to throw them in the chickens run. Before I had chickens I just mowed them under.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My DH had the perfectly manicured, suburban yard concept-

Uhm, honey? We live in a freaking jungle, where vines grow 12" per hour, leaves fall all over at a rate of 10,000 per hour and if you go in that grove of trees you're going to find more than a few ticked off copperheads.

I cured the suburban concept pretty fast. Now, my chicken yard looks far better than his huge space outside the shop. He's a painter- how many 5 gallon buckets does one need per lifetime, anyway?????

9. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    It depens on the leaves but we rake them, otherwise they kill the grass/lawn below them. The we dry them (maple leaves) and either make some awesome fires with them or use them on the gardens to cut down on the weeds. Plus it looks neat. But that is just us.

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I hate raking leaves. I guess that's why I don't .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by