Why Rake?

Redcatcher

Songster
9 Years
May 7, 2010
At My Desk!
I've raked leaves for my entire life because I was taught to and always felt it was the thing to do. The past couple of years, however, I've skipped doing it and was amazed how quickly they all decompose and return to the soil. For those with neighbors who get all bent out of shape if the leaves blow onto their property, I can understand the need to rake, and for those with compost heaps, it makes sense. They may be unsightly (to some people) but it's all temporary. Though I suppose it depends on the type of leaf... Oak leaves take a lot longer than most other leaves to decompose.

Why rake? Only because the Princess nags the devil out of me if I don't.
hide.gif
Actually, I mow and bag them. Takes a while , but it is easier on my back
old.gif
than raking.

I've never had to rake leaves.
tongue.png
I live too far out in the country for people to care, our yard is way too big, and there are practicley no trees except out in our woods.
tongue.png
I would like to try mowing over leaves though, sounds fun.
lol.png

Last edited:
My DH had the perfectly manicured, suburban yard concept-

Uhm, honey? We live in a freaking jungle, where vines grow 12" per hour, leaves fall all over at a rate of 10,000 per hour and if you go in that grove of trees you're going to find more than a few ticked off copperheads.

I cured the suburban concept pretty fast. Now, my chicken yard looks far better than his huge space outside the shop. He's a painter- how many 5 gallon buckets does one need per lifetime, anyway?????

It depens on the leaves but we rake them, otherwise they kill the grass/lawn below them. The we dry them (maple leaves) and either make some awesome fires with them or use them on the gardens to cut down on the weeds. Plus it looks neat. But that is just us.

Back
Top Bottom