Why's my rice not cooking?

When making a casserole like that, I stay away from long grain rice because that stuff never cooks evenly unless boiled. Next time boil it longer first or use reglar rice. Cous cous is a good alternative that cooks fast.

Quote:
Oooh, I love Cous cous! And quinoa! (Pronounced "Keen wah" I think. I never would have found it in the stores going by my friend's words.... Luckily she spelled it, and I realized I had seen it before! Quinoa is great because it's gluten free, higher in protein, AND metabolizes in blood sugar better than most carbohydrates. Especially better than rice.)

Yah, long grain rice takes freakin' forever.

(Betcha never knew I even KNEW anything about rice, cous cous and quinoa, huh!)

Quote:
Yeah...I read the rice package and it said to boil like 15 min. and then put on a tight fitting lid and simmer for 15 min.

I'm hoping the tinfoil will help...
sad.png
I'm hungry.

When I make rice, I add the water and the rice, then heat to boiling. At that point, I cover it, and turn down to a little below medium heat. Let sit without interruption for about 15 minutes. Never fails for me. Good luck!

The recipe called for ? something like 3/4 cup rice and 1 1/2 cup water...plus all the other stuff. Guess I gotta cook it first before I add it.

Quote:
Turn the heat on??

I'll never live up to Gordan's standards!
tongue.png

Quote:
Oooh, I love Cous cous! And quinoa! (Pronounced "Keen wah" I think. I never would have found it in the stores going by my friend's words.... Luckily she spelled it, and I realized I had seen it before! Quinoa is great because it's gluten free, higher in protein, AND metabolizes in blood sugar better than most carbohydrates. Especially better than rice.)

Yah, long grain rice takes freakin' forever.

(Betcha never knew I even KNEW anything about rice, cous cous and quinoa, huh!)

I love both, mainly because Ken thinks he hates rice. So I cook that and tell him it's pasta. It really is!!
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom