Wild 8-week-old Muscovy with Angel Wing

friday027

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2022
I live in an HOA gated community in NE Florida. I have coffee every morning on my patio with a view of a large pond. Eight weeks ago, I noticed a Muscovy duck I had occasionally seen on the pond swimming with 5 ducklings. Within 3 weeks, 4 of the ducklings were eaten by a male Great Blue Heron. The surviving duckling, now a juvenile, appears healthy and active and began developing flight feathers about a week and a half ago. At around that time I noticed the tip of its wings starting to twist away from the body. The condition worsened with time but has stopped progressing. The mother Muscovy left the pond three days ago and hasn’t returned. So right now, the lone juvenile Muscovy is the only duck on the pond. My intention has been to get the juvenile’s wings taped as I’ve read that angel wing can be reversed in a short period of time. The duck is very friendly, so should be relatively easy to capture. I’ve tried calling three animal rescue organizations, but none will help. I was told that because the Muscovy is not a bird native to Florida, they could lose their license. One representative informed me that fixing the wings would be purely cosmetic and the duck would never be able to fly. But I’ve notice that the angel wing is an impediment to the duck when swimming or foraging. And although it may not be painful, I can see that the condition of its wings bothers it. It constantly twitches its wings trying to tuck them but can’t. I am willing to pay for the cost of helping this duck, but maybe I’m being foolish. Any advice?

:welcome
Angel wing is purely cosmetic but since this duckling is not someones domestic duck and it has to fend for itself Having this condition will not help if it has to flee from a predator where it would be able to fly to escape. If you decide to capture and wrap you'll have to keep it off the pond for a few days until the wing is fixed. if caught while the flight feathers are just growing in it usually takes less than a week to correct.
@ruthhope is in St Augustine maybe she would know someone who can help.
Bless you for caring when so many don't.

@Miss Lydia, Thank you so much for your reply. I posted a photo and it looked like it uploaded, but it's not showing up.

I literally know nothing about ducks. The little knowledge I have has been through google searches when I first saw the ducklings 2 months ago. I also would not be able to keep the duck at my house (off the water) because of HOA rules. So I would need help with this. I'll try contacting @ruthhope.

That's what I am hoping @ruthhope can give some info on a rescue group that isn't afraid to help.
did you use the attach files on the bottom left of where we post replies?to add pictures.

Also you can look up Muscovy Haven in south Fla. they maybe able to help you find a rescue.

Last edited:
@Canadian Wind and @Miss Lydia,

I didn't bother with wildlife management because they explicitly say on their website that they do not support Muscovy ducks.

These are the organizations I've contacted:
Wildlife Rescue Coalition
The Ark Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation
Duck Haven (never got back to me)

I haven't tried The Muscovy Sanctuary of Florida, so I'll give that a shot.

Here's a photo

Attachments

• Muscovy_8weeks.JPEG
    Muscovy_8weeks.JPEG
    782.7 KB · Views: 25
Hi Miss Lydia,
I'm new here, so I don't know what you mean about "tagging this". I set 2 tags when I posted of Muscovy and the other Angel Wing. Is that what you mean?

Back
Top Bottom