Wild Bird Thread!

Any new birds showing up????
smile.png
I still have like 10 mourning doves showing up throughout the day, and Henry and Henrietta (The original pair) are always the first to show up, rain, wind and/or snow, at the feeder. They eat a whole bunch of seed off of the ground and REALLY enjoy it, then fly up and perch for most of the day, occasionally jumping down to get some seed and see their friends/ kids/flock (I think at least 4 are their kids, not sure about the others). Then they fly back up on their perches, fluff up, and watch their friends/ kids/ flock. I'm tempted to try and get a few pics, but they won't be very clear
lol.png

Here are the pictures... the last one actually came out pretty good!!!
Group of doves
45995_mourning_doves-_winter_2011_001.jpg

Little further out and you can see most of my feeding station
45995_mourning_doves-_winter_2011_002.jpg

Best one-Close up of dove(Believe it was male)
45995_mourning_doves-_winter_2011_005.jpg

Over the years that I have been feeding there has been a significant change in the species utilizing my feeders. As the Cooper's and Sharpshin populations have increased, larger birds have become less frequent visitors. Right now I am feeding mainly juncoes, chick a dees, smaller woodpeckers, and several species of sparrows. There are very few doves, flickers, and blue jays coming in to feed. Right around dusk 5 or 6 pairs of cardinals show up and feed furtively before darting away.

Huh... us too, however we still get a blue-jay now and then, we get a few pairs of cardinals, LOTS of house sparrows, and house wrens. We also get a few downy woodpeckers and the larger woodpeckers, nut not a northern flicker!

Too bad... I was looking in my bird book today and I saw killdeer and I was like "Oh yea, I read someone on BYC's blog about them... wish I was near the beach and killdeer were near us!" I like killdeer too.. .they look so cool!

Quote:
I like them, too, especially the babies. I got to watch 2 families grow up and merge last year. I hope I see some this year, too.

They're like little, flying gazelles with their stripes, etc.

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH my gosh I forgot to mention this...

When I was in camp (Around 4 years ago was my last time) I named this dark brown and light brown speckled sea gull "Gus" and I used to see him everyday. On pizza day, I would feed him all the pizza crusts, and my camp counselor and a few friend could even tell him apart and kept track of him. One of my best friends found a brown and gray speckled one and named it "Oreo", so we used to watch our seagulls every day. Ever since, everytime I go to the beach, I always see him and a few of his sons, who are lighter colored. My Dad always says "Are you sure it isn't just a brown seagull, there are a few of them, " but I'm pretty sure its the same one... So fast forward...

Yesterday I went to the beach with my dad to go eat lunch, and I saw him.. I was so excited!!!! I just thought I would share this story!!!! Cuz the killdeer reminded me!

Back
Top Bottom