Will a double yolk egg develop into a healthy chick?

ARose4Heaven

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Flippin, AR
If it is fertile, of course, will a double yolk egg develop into a single, healthy chick...or do I get twins? I have one RIR hen always lays huge double yolked eggs.

You will probably have 2 develop and 1 died or both die. Someone has done it, but they had to help it out. The chances are one or both will die. One will develop at the smaller end and may drown or get crushed during hatching. You can set it, but you may have to help them out. You'd be lucky to get one and even luckier for both to get out alive.

i never got double yolk eggs. but i hope your will doing well if you try to set it.
smile.png

I heard its been done, dont know for sure the outcome. I think I may have a double yolker in my bator now...my hatch is due Sept 11th...

go to you tube to see it...there is a video, do a search for twin chicks hatching or baby chicks hatching, twins...something along those lines and you can see it.

good luck.

There is a video on YouTube of twins that hatched and both were alive and well. In the same batch was another set of twins and only one of those lived.

Back
Top Bottom