Will chicks be ok with a ramp?

i dont want any hurt babies so as long as she’s ok with being shut in while they hatch then I’ll go for that. im Getting anxious as they are hatching soon an one of them is smaller then the other I forced my self to stop candleing and wait. I hope they hatch at the sAme time but if they don’t would there be any way to help the other one? Thank you.
Whatever you do do not help the other chick if its taking a bit longer to hatch. After the first internal pip it can take up to 24 hours for them to externally pip and that can also take up to another 24 hours. You can check under then hen really quickly to check but dont pick up or turn the eggs otherwise you may risk turning the chick in the egg and this may kill it. I would advise not to even touch the hen. Only and this is a last resort, only help the baby chick if it has externally pipped and has not made any progress in 48 hours only then carefully make a safty hole in the air sack end of the egg. Wait a bit longer (6-14 hours) if it still has not made anymore progress slowly and carefully help pull the egg shell off, only small bits at a time though.

Err on making that ramp the gentlest angle you can achieve and as wide as possible. Mine were mostly planks with offcuts as crossbars for better footing, which they treated like stairs. I did not start ramp training my silkie till she left the brooder, but she had much more trouble with it than my others. I had two ramps and she would never use the steeper of the two and had difficulty with the other. It took ages to get her using it.

Silkies think of themselves as ground birds, so learning to use a ramp is hard for them. It doesn't look like yours will be as intense a ramp as mine (I had a raised coop), but my silkie also hatched chicks in the coop and brought them down (non-silkie chicks).

Falling off from height or being knocked off by momma or other birds can definitely cause injury. The chicks could navigate the ramp, but the other birds were a hazard, so just be mindful of this too.

There are not other birds in her area i Closed it off. im going to make sides. The reason I want to make one is if the chicks hatch and she goes off while I’m not here and they fall. Will try and make it was chick Safe as possible its quite a wide ramp and it will have lots of grip. I have tried to make as non steap as possible. Thanks for the advice. i Have put eggs under a lohmann brown hen and I’m going to make them once they hatch.
If it ends up a bit steep, you can always pop a brick offcut under the end to ease it a bit. They won't have trouble with a little step down.

What breed's the mum? I've only ever had my silkie do any hatching and she's quite a slow and patient mum. Prolly cause she has a hard time seeing where she's going half the time.

There are not other birds in her area i Closed it off. im going to make sides. The reason I want to make one is if the chicks hatch and she goes off while I’m not here and they fall. Will try and make it was chick Safe as possible its quite a wide ramp and it will have lots of grip. I have tried to make as non steap as possible. Thanks for the advice. i Have put eggs under a lohmann brown hen and I’m going to make them once they hatch.
Just put some chick feed in with her and close the nestbox off with a piece of chicken wire. This way you will be there and can help the chicks down when she gets off the nest.

But in any case, prepare a nestbox on the ground for them and cover the wired ground with cardboard or similar, or else the chicks might fall through or get hurt.

Good luck!

That’s cool. that works then. And I’m stilling Finishing her chick area. So I can just put them on the floor.I have two eggs under her. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom