Will guinea alert me if there are predators in the yard?

miss_thenorth

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
SW Ont, Canada
After losing a duck two nights ago, I got thinkinghow everyone says guinea are good watch dogs. Will they start their cackling if there is a raccon in the yard?

Mine alert me to anything on my land that shouldn't be here, even new people they do not know (poor UPS guys, lol), so I would have to say yes, they should alert you about raccoons.

Quote:
Yes, but they will get woken up and start making their unique noise, right? Teh coop is not far from my bedroom window, so if they kick up a ruckus,would I probably be able to hear them more than the chickens?

Guineas can help with alerting to predators, but it's not completely reliable. If you're thinking that you'll let them roost in trees and alert you, be aware that the owls can take them out of the branches with never a squawk heard.

I'd spend money on coop security before guineas.

And then of course I'd get myself some guineas anyway....
smile.png

Yeah, I am not looking at them being completely reliable. Just as an added precaution, and they will be sleeping in the coop with the other birds. teh coop is tight, but it would be nice to have a bit of an alarm system, for back up.

My guinea roosts in the coop with 5 RIRs and 3 White Leghorns (I had 2 guineas, and they can make a lot of noise. One passed away during the heat of last summer and it is now a bit quieter durng the day!). If anything new or different approaches the coop, the guinea(s) would "screech". Sometimes, they would just make noise for no apparent reason. But I can't say I have ever heard them make much noise at night. On another note, guineas (both of mine were hens) can be a lot more aggressive than a chicken.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom