Will guinea alert me if there are predators in the yard?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by miss_thenorth, Jun 16, 2011.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    After losing a duck two nights ago, I got thinkinghow everyone says guinea are good watch dogs. Will they start their cackling if there is a raccon in the yard?

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Mine alert me to anything on my land that shouldn't be here, even new people they do not know (poor UPS guys, lol), so I would have to say yes, they should alert you about raccoons.

3. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes. They will also alert you if a leaf falls from a tree, or if anything has been moved from where it was before. -Wendy

4. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Thank you. I'm gonna get me some guineas.

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    The problem with coons is that they come at night when the guineas are asleep.

6. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:Yes, but they will get woken up and start making their unique noise, right? Teh coop is not far from my bedroom window, so if they kick up a ruckus,would I probably be able to hear them more than the chickens?

7. beesong

beesong Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had raccoon kills with nary a peep from the guineas.

8. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Guineas can help with alerting to predators, but it's not completely reliable. If you're thinking that you'll let them roost in trees and alert you, be aware that the owls can take them out of the branches with never a squawk heard.

I'd spend money on coop security before guineas.

And then of course I'd get myself some guineas anyway....[​IMG]

9. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Yeah, I am not looking at them being completely reliable. Just as an added precaution, and they will be sleeping in the coop with the other birds. teh coop is tight, but it would be nice to have a bit of an alarm system, for back up.

10. rjlanger2

rjlanger2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Central Texas
    My guinea roosts in the coop with 5 RIRs and 3 White Leghorns (I had 2 guineas, and they can make a lot of noise. One passed away during the heat of last summer and it is now a bit quieter durng the day!). If anything new or different approaches the coop, the guinea(s) would "screech". Sometimes, they would just make noise for no apparent reason. But I can't say I have ever heard them make much noise at night. On another note, guineas (both of mine were hens) can be a lot more aggressive than a chicken.

Bob

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by