Will my duck get broody?

Yep 24 hours will make a big difference to the Duckling. Best wishes. It never bled at all right?
Just one or two drops. I'm almost certain they were from the umbilical cord. I'm not sure what all that stuff on the photo is, but blood could also be from the thing on the right side - the thing connected to the cord. Does that even get absorbed?

All that you see dries up and falls off..Yolk will absorb. I keep mine in a container on clean Kleenex till fully dried up...Then all is good..Don't try feeding it anything till it really want out of the container. Then it can be with its siblings..

All that you see dries up and falls off..Yolk will absorb. I keep mine in a container on clean Kleenex till fully dried up...Then all is good..Don't try feeding it anything till it really want out of the container. Then it can be with its siblings..
It is not even moving now. I'll just let him rest before giving him anything. I think he will rest for quite some time now. Thank you for your help!

After the rest he looks much better. The area around absorbed yolk is dry now.
He pooped dark green and white. His eye was shut at first, because he got a lot of gunk from inside the egg on his head, and it dried up. In the morning, he managed to clean himself up a bit and has both eyes cleared up.
I am a bit worried about his weak legs now. One might be facing a bit outwards so I'll keep an eye on him. He does straighten both legs and both feet seem to be normally developed.

He is not yet interested in water but looks to be snapping at toy's toenails that look kind of delicious to all small ducklings.

I will keep him isolated from the other two ducklings for now, because these two really make a mess in no time. Their bedding is never dry and poo-free only for a minute.

The healthy duckling is very interested into the newest sibling and is not acting aggressive towards him. I introduced them when he jumped out of the brooder like the third or fourth time, trying to get to him. That one sure is a jumper.

Here's a video of the duckling. I think he has one leg splayed. Do you think I should tie them together so it keeps them under his body? He doesn't eat yet, just nibble at things. It is still early since he hatched last evening, so he has at least 12 hours.

He walks pretty normal now. I waited enough for him to start drinking and eating. His leg has moved and is now almost normal. I'll see if it gets worse and start fixing it in the morning.

The second duckling is a jumper. I'll need to raise the brooder, he constantly jumps out.
Their appetite is enormous! When they get superworms, they can't help and happily chirp. The 'one legged' duckling is the fastest when it comes to feeding. He sees like a hawk and runs (hops) like a wind, has reflex of a fox and I need to make sure theat other ducklings get anything at all. I place the small duckling into separate box when I feed them worms, he doesn't stand a chance with those two maniacs. :lol:

Perhaps it's not the best video, but you can check how the little one is doing. His feet are much better and he stopped walking in circles. Other two (especially the jumping one checking over the brooder sides) are goofing around, making a mess. They can't keep their water intact, they feel an urge to spill it and walk all over the wet towel. Hooligans.

I know they have all hatched, however mine had the same yellow green color in the shells when hatched. It was embryonic waste. The ones that had a noticeable amount smelled strongly of duck pee and poop.

Back
Top Bottom