Will these girls ever lay? Update: Green Egg and Pippa layed too!

Catalina

Songster
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
Minnesota
I know I shouldn't, but I'm starting to get impatient.
I want eggs or just 1 egg! 1 egg and then they can all retire.
Butter and Honey's (Delawares) combs seem to have gotten a lot darker over night so maybe.....what do you think? Eggs in 2007 or someday
roll.png
in 2008?

2089388097_26fcf6211f.jpg

2090176698_da7b5cf3d8.jpg

2090178438_38e0a41d1d.jpg

Last edited:
catt - according to the redness in their face, I'd say soon. They probably won't lay a lot through this season but should pick up much better pace by spring.

Jody

BE PATIENT, BE PATIENT, BE PATIENT, LOL. I had the same problem with my hens before they started laying and now I'm getting TONS of eggs a day.

according to the redness in their face, I'd say soon. They probably won't lay a lot through this season but should pick up much better pace by spring

Really- They're getting red enough? YAY!! EGGS!!
They are about 18 weeks so I didn't want to get my hopes up, but now I'm totally going to obsess.​

Last edited:
I've had EEs start at 18-20 weeks, so its not out of the question. These girls show nice redness..the comb may grow a little more and the redness will deepen. Do they like to be handled? If so, the squat is a sure sign eggs will be coming soon. 20-26 weeks is typical depending on breed and the line they're from. Watch for them checking out the nest boxes..that's a good sign too. They'll start snooping when they're close to starting up.

Jody

Today somebody moved the golf balls and wood shavings around in the nest box.
smile.png

They've always liked to be petted and held, but I haven't seen any obvious squatting.
It's really obvious, right?

I want eggs or just 1 egg! 1 egg and then they can all retire.

You sure about that? I could never stop at just one-ya need more so you can put them in an incubator...​

Back
Top Bottom