Winter management poll

Heat: yes/no No

Insulated coop: yes/no No

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: Almost one whole 12' wall open, just wire mesh, a foot solid at the top and at the base to keep the litter in. Approx 48sf

Coop size: 10' x 12'

Litter method: Deep litter

#of chickens in coop: 10 - 14

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Australia, where I am winters barely dip below freezing at night, above freezing during the day

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: 3 years with 4 coops at my old place. Haven't been through winter at the new place yet but planing to build the same coop design.

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: They did very well through the winter, never had issues with frostbite. Not exactly cold by American standards though.
tongue.png

Quote:
Wanted to update since we had some crazy cold temps right after I posted:
The week of THanksgiving, we got down to -5 degrees. Yes, that's right, -5 F. Daytime was only 7 degrees for two days in a row. That's darn cold here. The birds finally started to shiver a little on the coldest morning, but they still laid eggs!! No frostbite, either.

We did not rise above freezing at any point for nearly 3 weeks after that. Not only did my girls do fine, they kept laying. AND....my three younger pullets started laying this week as well. I had thought they wouldn't start in the winter, especially not with the cold and so close to winter solstice. We're in Northern Idaho, it's decently dark now.

I am fully convinced - the open air, no heat method works fine for my cold-hardy breeds. They are even figuring out how to break the ice on the water bucket with their beaks in the morning. Lovin' the egg factory for my xmas baking.

Quote:
they are doing well, I have teenagers that just started laying in the first coup they roost about 8 ft. up at night. The other coup are about 4 months old and they don't roost too much so they huddle together on the ground, all seems well so far and we have had some 0 degree weather.

Heat: no

Insulated coop: no

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: the coop has six 12 sq.in. slits up towards the top for vents. All day long the pop door is open. run is approx. 100 sq.ft.

Coop size: approx. 12 sq.ft.

Litter method: Shavings about four inches deep.

#of chickens in coop: 3 (all banty sized, 2 mutt pullets and 1 silkie hen)

Location: Wyoming (we qualify as semi-desert or high desert. It gets cold and dry and the wind is evil.)

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: This is our first.

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: So far they love the snow and the cold. No complaints yet except Io who holds her club foot up off the frozen ground as much as possible. However, they aren't sleeping on the roost these days. Instead the huddle together in one side of the nesting box. I've had two eggs frozen before I harvested them. This morning the temps were -16.

Heat: No, but I did give them a heated dog bed to sit on if they choose...they choose not to use it; instead they perch on an old ladder.

Insulated coop: No

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: A LOT. It's a temporary setup - 16' x 14' x 8' wire-enclosed stall in a non-enclosed barn (bars on the wall 1/2 way up instead of windows or wooden wall). Has a 3/4 sided plastic sheeting enclosed smaller area with heated dog bed (unused) and old ladder (well used). Must say the plastic doesn't do much for insulation or heat...just eliminates drafts. Birds have daytime outdoor access to a 16' x 4' covered isle and a 30' X 30' paddock. The paddock does not have a top, so I am somewhat concerned about coons and hawks.

Litter method: 3-6" old hay over rubber mats

#of chickens in coop: 8 girls, one roo, 3 guineys, various breeds

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Northern Virginia, USA

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: First.

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods:
So far so good. Except that one poor chicken is so far down the totem pole that she doesn't dare go outside...mainly hides behind a bit of plastic sheeting...but that's a question for another forum.

Quote:
So far, so good. I wasn't running a heat lamp at all, but the morning I went out to the coop and the temp had dropped to -25 below, some of the girls were acting pretty sluggish and were all puffed up on the roost, so I added the lamp over the roost. Even with the lamp on when it's that cold, it still stayed between 0 and -5 below at night above the roost, but the flock seemed way more comfortable, and I felt better knowing they had a warmer spot to sleep. I should probably add that even at -25 below, none of my group has suffered any frostbite. I did keep them all cooped when it was that cold, but the last few days they have been allowed outside as it has been in the teens above 0.

Last edited:
Heat: yes/no Heat Lamp 2x150W IR bulbs

Insulated coop: yes/no yes

Amount of ventilation (approximate sq.ft.)you employ during the winter: Standard soffet venting wit a 18"x18" ceiling vent that can be open, closed or anywhere inbetween.

Coop size: 10' x 12'

Litter method: Deep litter

#of chickens in coop: 47 Large Fowl & 5 Bantams

Location (city and/or state and/or zone): Central Iowa, Zone 4/5

How many winters have you been through with your chickens?: This is # 2

(Optional) briefly describe how your flock has fared using these methods: Production last year increased through the winter and I attribute this to pullets coming of age. This year our production stopped just prior to the cold weather, now we are back to 2/3 normal production.

Back
Top Bottom