Winter Question.....

cozycrestmom

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Well we got our little ladies last April. We let them free range. We had all intentions of putting up a run.. But summer and fall found to be very busy... UNTIL,,, a hawk got my little Thelma last week, I was devistated..Soo we put up a 24'x18' chain link run with chicken wire on top.. It took us 3 days to get it done,, I kept the ladies in their coop til we finished.. We let them out today for the first time in their new run. They seemed so confused, and a couple of them appeared stressed, pacing back and forth in front of the fence door. I tried to make the run somewhat okay for them.. I put a few cornstalks in one corner, and a few tree braches kiddy corner for perches.. They can go under the coop if they want. I have a little bowl of oyster shells outside for them and the little door to their coop is open for them so they can go in and out to roost, lay, eat and drink.

Soo what do I do... I live in Maine, it gets chilly here.. Should I keep them in their coop or keep opening the coop door and let them out during the day? and if I allow them out, do you have any ideas that I can spruce up their out door space for them.......

Thank all

I'd open up the coop to the run everyday unless it's really bad weather. You could give them a pile of leaves to play in and let them out to free range when you are around. Give them fresh greens to liven it up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom