Winter Water SOLVED!

Quote:
I decided to be super-clever and filled my heated dog-bowl with sand, so the 1 gallon fount sits just below the lip of the dog bowl on a lovely silica heat-sink.

It works like a charm!! If the power goes out, it even stays warm overnight enough to keep it thawed for some hours.

$15 and worth every penny.

How cold of temps is that working for you?

Next winter I plan on deploying a sweet recirculating nipple drinker for my hens. Planning on using one of those thermocube thingys to turn a pump & heater on when the temp drops. I can also add ice to the tank in the summer for a cool refreshing drink (for them, not me).

Chooks Chick

I had bought a heated dog bowl and couldn't use it as I worried my little Banty could fall in (the bowl is large).
Your sand idea will take care of that problem. Great idea
smile.png

Quote:
Have a good look at that link I posted for the thermostat. The problem with the thermocube is that it's going to run that pump and heater all the time when the air temp falls below it's set point. With a submersible remote thermostat like the Hydroset it's only going to cycle your heat system when the water temperature falls below 60.

The best waters I have found are gallon milk jugs. Cut a hole in the side and you are read to go. in the winter I water twice a day if the birds are laying. Ice pops right out and you refill. I have used these for pigeons and chickens. I make racks to hold them so that I can refil from outside the pen. I haven't found anything better or cheaper.

Quote:
I wish I had that kind of time. Between feeding cows, plowing snow, and working (case in point I got up at 5am today for a 7am shift start, and I'll be lucky to get to bed before 6 pm tomorrow) I just don't have the time to water every day, much less twice every day.

Quote:
I talked to a fella that did that and all his hens would stand in the water all day to keep their tootsies warm
lol.png
My old man said, "This ain't no chicken spa!! If I don't get a hot tub, the golldarn chickens can't have one either." My response, "But honey, you don't lay eggs."

I have a small stock tank heater in a five gallon bucket with water nipples on the bottom. For some reason my chickens don't seem to like to drink from the water nipples so I still had to carry out water twice a day. I may try the sand filled heater dog bowl this year.

Quote:
I decided to be super-clever and filled my heated dog-bowl with sand, so the 1 gallon fount sits just below the lip of the dog bowl on a lovely silica heat-sink.

It works like a charm!! If the power goes out, it even stays warm overnight enough to keep it thawed for some hours.

$15 and worth every penny.

You got pics? Please?

Back
Top Bottom