Winter? Where do they swim?

AKnewbie

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 30, 2012
I have 2 ducks. Male and female khaki campbells. Winter is coming fairly quickly- at least for us. Snow will probably fall by the end of the month.
They have a kiddie pool in their run that they share with the chickens but what do I do when winter comes along? Will they be ok without water to wade in?

They will be fine, just so long as they have plenty of fresh, unfrozen, drinking water.
smile.png

Thank you for your response! So would a gallon size ice cream bucket suffice?
Right now we have the pool and a gallon size ice cream bucket outside and another gallon size ice cream bucket inside.
I change their water every morning. I'm not foreseeing putting water outside when temperatures drop so it will just have to be the gallon sized bucket inside. Will that suffice? Will I have to change their water more than once a day?

Thank you for your response! So would a gallon size ice cream bucket suffice?
Right now we have the pool and a gallon size ice cream bucket outside and another gallon size ice cream bucket inside.
I change their water every morning. I'm not foreseeing putting water outside when temperatures drop so it will just have to be the gallon sized bucket inside. Will that suffice? Will I have to change their water more than once a day?
You can buy heated buckets just about any feed store and TSC has them and on line also. that way you don't have to break ice or carry water out 2 or 3X a day when it is freezing. I use a cement mixing pan in the winter and on days when it gets into the upper 30's low 40's I will fill it up so they can have a bath.

If they have full time access to the indoor gallon bucket, that will be enough. If it is their only source of water, you might find that you need to fill it more often.

Back
Top Bottom