Winterizing Coop for NY winter

I don't know who told you that but, no, it does not. My flock has been on wood chips from day one. I've never had bumble foot on any bird in my flock.

I'm in a few chicken keeper facebook groups where some people had instances of the mulch lodging in their chicken's foot and causing bumble foot. I'm glad to hear it's been a non-issue for you! I feel like anything can cause an issue though. I was originally thinking on wood chips!

that the mud can freeze and cause frost bite on their feet? Is this true?

Some chickens will get mud balls on their toes. Chickens with feathered feet are more prone to getting mud balls, since the mud sticks to the feathers. I have however also had balls form on toes without feathers.

it must depend on how sticky and nasty the mud is..

Check at night when they are roosting. Just look and see how their toes are.

1) Should I be putting something over the mud to prevent their feet from freezing in possible puddles (mulch, pdz, sand, etc.)?

As other posters mentioned, wood mulch is great. Wood chips/sawdust is more likely to matt up and rot/get stinky. Mulch is nicer since the big chunks drain well, but don't matt together and rot/block out air.

2) Should I be tarping the sides of some of their run to provide more protection from wind and rain? (I will add that the coop is 4 feet off the ground so they have about a 4 x 5 area of coverage, but the chickens are still soaked regardless of this).

Especially as it gets colder, they shouldn't be getting wet. So yes, figure out a way to give them more dry area.

Here is our run 6 months ago back when the gals had grass in it. Any advice on roofing material so it’s not too heavy? We don’t have a support beam in the middle so may need to add one. Thanks for all of the advice

Especially since you are where it snows, you will need to make a roof frame of some variety so that the roof SLOPES, so the snow can slide off. The steeper the pitch/slope of the roof, the less strength it needs. The flatter the roof, the stronger all supports must be.

Also, wet snow is very sticky so will stick to net or wire. I once had enough overnight wet snowfall that stuck to the net over my run and the weight of the snow busted my gate post.

Some chickens will get mud balls on their toes. Chickens with feathered feet are more prone to getting mud balls, since the mud sticks to the feathers. I have however also had balls form on toes without feathers.

it must depend on how sticky and nasty the mud is..

Check at night when they are roosting. Just look and see how their toes are.

As other posters mentioned, wood mulch is great. Wood chips/sawdust is more likely to matt up and rot/get stinky. Mulch is nicer since the big chunks drain well, but don't matt together and rot/block out air.

Especially as it gets colder, they shouldn't be getting wet. So yes, figure out a way to give them more dry area.

Especially since you are where it snows, you will need to make a roof frame of some variety so that the roof SLOPES, so the snow can slide off. The steeper the pitch/slope of the roof, the less strength it needs. The flatter the roof, the stronger all supports must be.

Also, wet snow is very sticky so will stick to net or wire. I once had enough overnight wet snowfall that stuck to the net over my run and the weight of the snow busted my gate post.

Thank you for this thoughtful response! The roof is definitely something my husband and I will need to sketch up soon so I appreciate the input.

Wow!! Thanks for this visual with the snow building up on the HW cloth, I didnt think it would stick like that so I’m glad you showed me!
This was a very wet snow. I hope it all melts soon. But yes, it sticks to everything.

Your run if you add a roof will need to be more solidly built. Ours is a flat roof with 2x4s vertical. They are 2' spaced. I did that to plan for 4'x8' plywood . And I remove the snow after each storm. It is not something that would hold up to long term snow load.

Last edited:
Got some pictures? That would help advise.

We put all yard waste and coop clean out in the run. Here in SE Mass we're getting snow today. I don't have the run ready for winter. So there is more snow in the run than we have ever had. Time to get up the plastic.
Yeah the plans to attach clear plastic on the run walls and a few other winterizing ideas were scheduled for early November. But we just got 5” of snow that mudded up the run, filled and froze their grit and oyster shell containers. Forecast called for a trace to 2”. So much for that.

Back
Top Bottom