Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Ugh. I'm guessing all are as sick of this COLD as I am! First-time chicken-keeper here and have a question: My 11 chickens are about a year old, they free range when it's nice out. They have a coop/run area that's about 144 square feet. It is dry. They have food and heated water. There are two - very secure - timed, heat lamps (w/ safety cage) on the ceiling in the run. They have a heated roost for night. Oh, and there's a radio for them playing classic country. With the super cold temps, I have NOT let them out - mainly because I want to keep them dry. I've not seen any major picking - yet. Do you all let yours out when it's this cold? For the love of God, can we please get some warmer weather?!??

My birds are kept locked up during this extreme cold snap. I have straw well over a foot deep in the coop and add more when needed...they really enjoy it, and it keeps them busy too.

It helps to spray blu kote on wounds. It is a veterinary antiseptic protective wound dressing sold at farm stores.

Stay safe.... bigz

My birds are kept locked up during this extreme cold snap. I have straw well over a foot deep in the coop and add more when needed...they really enjoy it, and it keeps them busy too.

It helps to spray blu kote on wounds. It is a veterinary antiseptic protective wound dressing sold at farm stores.

Stay safe.... bigz
You gave me a good reminder: I put a fresh blanket of straw on their floor. They are now in heaven ...

Ugh. I'm guessing all are as sick of this COLD as I am! First-time chicken-keeper here and have a question: My 11 chickens are about a year old, they free range when it's nice out. They have a coop/run area that's about 144 square feet. It is dry. They have food and heated water. There are two - very secure - timed, heat lamps (w/ safety cage) on the ceiling in the run. They have a heated roost for night. Oh, and there's a radio for them playing classic country. With the super cold temps, I have NOT let them out - mainly because I want to keep them dry. I've not seen any major picking - yet. Do you all let yours out when it's this cold? For the love of God, can we please get some warmer weather?!??

I have no heating in my coop except for a cozy coop panel they can hang out by during the day. I open my coop door a little later in the morning but I have it opened all day for them. I actually put their food and water outside for many reasons but it makes them get out a bit. (Lots of hay on the ground out there and under a roof.) I do deep bedding but I’m not real experienced so I’m not sure if it’s doing well or not! My coop is large and insulated, I check each night to make sure they are all snuggled together on the roosts and that there’s not one alone otherwise I worry she would freeze. I also do scratch grains before they roost for the night. With temps this cold it’s hard to resist doing more! I worry they wouldn’t be adjusted to the extreme cold if the power went out. With -30 I’m rethinking everything though! I love hearing how others go about chicken keeping especially in this climate.

It was a balmy 11* yesterday so I let the birds have the option to come outside if they wanted. I think they were getting a bit stir crazy in there and were quite happy to enjoy some outside time.

On the search for a new dog. Looking for a boxer or a boxador. Since we are down to one dog now and he is 16, it’s time to bring some new life to the house.

About your dog search; try Petfinders onliine, see if there's a boxer rescue, and check the boxer club site. May the right dog find you!
And here it's about 0F, cold enough! Lower Michigan is balmy, compared to most of Wisconsin...
Mary

My chickens have free access to the outside run most of the time. If the wind is from the Northeast, then I close the popdoor at night to keep out the cold wind. On days that aren't windy, the birds will go outside and wander around in the sun. On windy days, they stay inside. The only heat in the coop is a heated base to keep the water font defrosted.

Last week was the first time that I had a bird die from the cold - I think she froze to death when she slept in the lowest nesting box all by herself. I keep those nest boxes empty in an attempt to keep them from laying eggs in them so there wasn't any straw in there. As soon as this freeze is over, I have some adjustments that I will be making to the coop and one of those is to block that shelf unit around so they can't get into the boxes.

I keep my nest boxes packed with fresh straw, it prevents the eggs from freezing longer and gives the hens a nice comforting place to lay eggs. I never skimp on straw in the coop.... the day after day extreme cold is what takes it toll on the birds....so glad that there is improved weather on it's way later next week.

I also keep a feeder with grit, as well as one for oyster shell. The grit helps the birds process the whole corn and oats that are given for treats...just sayin.

Stay Safe..... bigz

Also, your hen might have been in that lower location because she was ill, and then froze after death. Without at least a crude necropsy, you'll never know. Cold is definitely a stress, but underlying health issues are very likely.
So sorry for her loss.
Mary

Hi
I open the door to the barn , but the chickens mostly stay inside. Some do venture out.
I like the blue kote I will have to get some. I see a chicken with a bit of a raw spot.
I am hoping the 4 silkies can make it thru this weekend, bitter cold. I have extra straw I put in the stall. The barn is closed in afternoon, not much for drafts to speak of.
I take water out 3 times a day in this weather.
Have eggs in the incubator about 12 days to go or so with those. 12 to 14 are silkie eggs so daughter is excited. 30 eggs total or so, threw couple away yesterday. Check again in 2 more days.
Silkies egg production has dropped, maybe stress from this cold I think.
Not sure if I am excited to have chickens in the basement after hatch for the next month. Not set up for them in the barn.
3 more days bitter cold, the cold spell lifts. Extended forecast 30 again by the 20th. Chickens will be happy, along with everyone in the upper midwest.

Back
Top Bottom