Woods-style house in the winter

Pics
I'm sure that this has been asked, but I haven't found it yet. What book did you get your plans from? I'd love to build this for my hens. Thankyou

Me again, I found the book on amazon and I ordered it. I can't wait. As far as open faced sheds. We live in Alberta and we get cold and snow. Our open faced sheds all face south and even lat winter when we had a record amount of snow the shed was completely bare of snow. I'm truly intrigued with this idea. I can't wait to build another coop loosely based on what used to work before power and insulation.

Me again, I found the book on amazon and I ordered it. I can't wait. As far as open faced sheds. We live in Alberta and we get cold and snow. Our open faced sheds all face south and even lat winter when we had a record amount of snow the shed was completely bare of snow. I'm truly intrigued with this idea. I can't wait to build another coop loosely based on what used to work before power and insulation.
Well, that's interesting!!

Our wood is stored in our open faced shed and technically if you drew a line straight down from the roof to the ground there may have been snow in about 1 foot. But the opening is 20x 15. so it swirls a bit at the front. but the ground is dry and dusty from being too dry in the back of the shed

The Book:
Fresh-Air Poultry Houses, by Prince T. Woods, Norton Creek Press

http://www.northcreekpress.com

Originally printed in 1924 as "Modern Fresh-Air Poultry Houses"

Introduction copyright 2008 by Norton Creek Press. All rights reserved.

ISBN 978-0-9721770-6-1

Norton Creek Press
36475 Norton Creek Road
Blodgett, Oregon 973269

Be sure to read info from pages 31 through the end of chapter 3 before starting. I read through but missed that those pertained to the Woods and not Tolmann houses. Hence I did not do it in the sections (easy way) and missed some tips. Especially that it is built in sections THEN fitted together! :lol: I attempted the whole wall before lifting and had to redo some. DUH! Well I am female but other than a blind for hunting I hadn't done any building since my stroke. Had forgotten some basic building rules. LOL

Read the whole book but take special notes to refer back to those pages when you get to page 89 which is the section on the 10x16 colony house (if that is the one you are doing.) ;)

Note to make the Main stud center PER the set plan. Don't make the scratch part longer..... important and it you read ALL it will tell you why.

I'm sure that this has been asked, but I haven't found it yet. What book did you get your plans from? I'd love to build this for my hens. Thankyou

I read the onl line book
http://books.google.com/books?id=o0...&resnum=2&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Not quite the book you ordered but a good read none the less. My one caution is that the material should be much stronger for the larger 10 x 16 structure, and the rafters be placed closer together.

Enjoy reading!!

Back
Top Bottom