Worried about my ducks

May 22, 2019
I’m worried about my ducks. I have had them for two months now and I just lost two out of nowhere today.

Yesterday one looked like she did not want to dry off after her bath so I took her out and dried her out. She fell asleep shortly after for a little nap and was doing fine this morning and afternoon. The rest all looked normal yesterday.

I have been keeping watch over them diligently as they are quite small and still young. I have been told they are miniature call ducks and are just bigger than my hand and are about 10 weeks old.

I have kept them in my spare bathtub and change out their water between two to four times a day, so it’s always fresh and warm for their bath/swim. They get a bath/swim every morning before they eat and every evening the same. They have an area that has water and a step up to get out of the water that is dry and under a heat lamp.

They all looked fine this afternoon and by this evening I have no idea what happened. They haven’t been able to swallow anything harmful and have everything to my knowledge that they need unless I am missing something.

I recently did get another drake that is nearby the last two weeks but he isn’t with them as he is about three to four times their size.

Any suggestions of what might be happening? I have also noticed that they sometimes walk on their own feet and stumble just a tad but it’s not very often. Not sure if that is a symptom or not.

Thanks in advance.

I’ve given some apple cider vinegar and veggies but not much else. I’m currently looking for brewers yeast and I looked for some supplements at the feed store but they were more for baby chicks. So I need to broaden my search a bit. Maybe the person I talked to at the feed store didn’t know very much?? Otherwise when I first got them, the lady said other than the feed they didn’t need much other than water and their body temp regulated.

I can’t seem to figure out what could be the problem other than maybe they got cold so they just didn’t move. I was thinking if the water was toxic for some reason then it would be affecting all of them.

I had to dry another one off last night and was worried she wouldn’t survive until morning. I’m keeping a close eye on them today as it could happen again, but I’m doing another cleaning and getting new everything and hopefully that will keep them going.

What kind of supplements can I give them? I’m going to check a different feed store later and see if they have a better selection.

Looking for information and understanding. I have 2 Peking ducks 1 Male 1 female about a year old the Male started acting funny and different for a few days wasn't eating as much and drinking as much, nor moving around. Took us a little bit to find a vet that examined ducks around us but we did took him to the vet today. Vet didnt really do much and gave him antibiotics and de wormer didnt really know if he drank dirty water or had head trauma. But when we got home a few hours later our duck had a seizure then a second one and died in my hand during the second seizure not what or why it happened.

Looking for information and understanding. I have 2 Peking ducks 1 Male 1 female about a year old the Male started acting funny and different for a few days wasn't eating as much and drinking as much, nor moving around. Took us a little bit to find a vet that examined ducks around us but we did took him to the vet today. Vet didnt really do much and gave him antibiotics and de wormer didnt really know if he drank dirty water or had head trauma. But when we got home a few hours later our duck had a seizure then a second one and died in my hand during the second seizure not what or why it happened.

Dont really think he got sick because him and her did everything together not sure why she would not be sick too. He did used to jump and try to fly in the coop in the morning when letting them out. But eventhough he wasn't feeling well he was still drinking and eating was wondering if the antibiotics were just too much for him

Back
Top Bottom