Would a hawk take off with a human baby outside?

petitesphinx

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Alabama
Would a hawk fly down and mess with or try to fly off with a human baby that's on a blanket in the yard?

I heard about hawks flying off with small dogs, cats...etc right in front of the human owners. And we have an 8 month old-about 15lbs and I'd like to let her play outside on our blanket......or in her pack n play. (And I'd be with her at ALL times, of course) But with seeing the hawks circling our pond and land now....I'm paranoid.

You can laugh and call me silly....I know...it must be a dumb question....

the only thing i think that would carry off a baby would be either a Harpy Eagle from down in South America. Maybe an Andean Condor from Chile or there is another Eagle in Africa that is know to pierce the skulls of monkeys with their talons and carry them off too. I don't think any would carry a baby off, but there is always a first. I heard of some double edged tail hawks in Australia attacking a hang glider. Actually caused the glider to crash by ripping the cloth wings of the glider. After the crash it attacked the woman and tore her up pretty good. She survived to tell the tale. Sounded awful to me. I had a hawk swoop at my Pullets yesterday. Freaked them out for 3 hours. THey were huddled in the corner of the coop forever. Hawks are bad-A##!!!!

Whew!

Thanks, I know it sounds silly...just wanted to be safe/sure. We just moved out to the country and this is our first summer here. There's soooooo much to learn about our chickens, ducks, peafowl...goats, sheep....geeeeeeeeeezeee

Hehe...she's more like me in the eyes, I think-than her daddy, but she has his head:

2800339268_bd79752ebc.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, don't scare this lady, y'all. She's a new mom and a new country dweller.

No hawk will fly off with your baby. Though if I were a hawk, she's just the little morsel I would pick . . . so cute!

Hawks attack things they can eat. Your little cutie is too big to eat so she is fine! I did learn one thing the hard way about babies outside .... they pick up everything and put it in their mouths so I'd keep her in a playpen. Better safe than seeing her dine on a worm or something!
big_smile.png
And she is adorable!!!!!

She should be fine. We have hawks and Bald and Golden Eagles here and I never had any trouble with them and the girls.

She is a cutie and will appreciate the move to the country where she can run and have all those animals to love.

Back
Top Bottom