Would a hawk take off with a human baby outside?

Quote:
oh my! How absolutely adorable!!

As far as hawks go, I think if you are right there with her, they are not going to bother anything close to you.

Hi-

I'm in northern Alabama-near Oneonta. Close to TN, I think!

Thank you for the kind words! And confidence about my little one being outside.

As far as hawks go, I think if you are right there with her, they are not going to bother anything close to you.

That's not entirely true. While no they will not bother a baby. There's no reason for them to. They have been known to swoop down and take pets standing right next to their owners. There's even a vid that's played on planet's funniest home videos for years of a kid sitting right next to his pet mouse with it on top of the carrier and it gets scooped up. On a guinea pig forum I went to several people had lost them out of pens in the yard while they were close enough to touch them. If a hawk is hungry and sees something it can make off with easily it has no problem swooping down right past a human to take it's meal. Don't think your chickens are safe just cause your out in the yard. If they want to take them just seeing you around isn't going to deter them much.​

There's even a vid that's played on planet's funniest home videos for years of a kid sitting right next to his pet mouse with it on top of the carrier and it gets scooped up.

WHY, WHY, WHY would that be shown on Planet's Funniest Videos? THAT'S NOT FUNNY!! like all those crotch shots, and babies falling, and bikes wrecking into fence posts:mad::mad: no wonder I hate those shows. People or animals being hurt, be it physically or emotionally, is not funny-- it's a sad world we live in when people have to watch a half hour of other ppl's misfortunes to entertain themselves:duc

guess you hate seeing ya chickens eat bugs then huh?
wink.png

,, a bird eating a hamster ( or whatever) is shown on animal planet, discovery channel, and thousands more every day for educational purposes ,,can a person laugh and learn at the same thing?. and if you listen to the reactions of people,, 99% say "OOOWWWWWW,,OHHHHHH MANNNNNNNNNN,,, when seeing the "hurting" things. what do people laugh at? a joke? they are usually about a misfortune,or a situation, that 1 could ALWAYS say "the person on the other side of the joke that its about, must feel awful"
misfortunes are a fact of life,,, whats also is a fact, is that them poor unfortunate people,,,,SENT their "misfortunes" in to make money off them,, and to have their "5 minutes of fame".

guess you hate seeing ya chickens eat bugs then huh?

Oh, no, that's just good quality family entertainment:lol: BUT that bug is not my child's pet. The mouse scooped up by the hawk was the child's pet. It wasn't the mouse's injury I was concerned over, but the child's emotional injury, at having had his pet gobbled up. Had it been on an education program (and a wild rodent, not a child's pet), I would have thought differently.

I think I voiced my annoyances with this type of programming incorrectly. I should have said that it's not funny for children/pets to be injured, especially because of some idiotic adult.

Example, when the 500 lb woman sits in a tire swing, she deserves to get stuck. When she bowls over a toddler, that's not funny.

When Grandpa tries to hop on Jr.'s pogo stick, he deserves to fall. When he lands on Fluffy-- not funny.

Yes, people sent in these videos, and if it is at thier OWN misfortune, and not thier child's, fine (I still think they're dumb, but fine). Really, when you see Dad standing under the pinata next to a 5 year old wielding a baseball bat AGAIN, you know what's gonna happen, WHY is it supposed to STILL be funny? I tell my children when they tell a joke, "it's funny THE FIRST TIME you tell it, don't keep telling me the same one over and over". While I've not watched one of these programs in ages, my personal fave is the lady with quadruplets laying on her, giggling like mad monkeys. Funny, and no one was injured;)

OK, done hijaking-- petitesphinx, adorable baby, hawks won't get her, have many more just like her:D

It's different when something is for educational purposes. That's not even comparable. To laugh at a pet being scooped up and eaten while the child is screaming about it is wrong. What if it was actually your dog or cat instead of "just a mouse"? Would it have made it on tv then or still be funny? Is it funny when your chickens get attacked by birds of prey? I think I'd knock someone out for laughing about that. To some people all their pets are equally important. I don't watch funniest videos or animal planet anymore. Too much stuff that really shouldn't be there.

Back
Top Bottom