Would these three breeds work well together?

EggNV

In the Brooder
May 19, 2017
Napa Valley, CA
Hi all,

I'm considering getting a few chicks (hens) and have a couple of questions.

1) Would a Barred Plymouth Rock, an Australorp, and an Easter Egger be good coop-mates?

2) Would three hens that are raised from chick-age together be okay? or should I keep even numbers?

Thank you for your help!

Technically I can have up to 6, but I want to be fair and realistic on space I have for them right now. Perhaps you can tell me what my max is? :)

I currently have a 10 ft x 3 ft coop, and 4ft x 2.5 ft hen house. They'd get free ranging about 4 hours a day during most of the year (save for the rainy ugly days here in northern California, which can stretch a week or more). At some point, I'd like to look into getting a larger area built, but for now, that's what I'm working with. What would you say my max is to keep happy, healthy birds?

Sure those three breeds would be fine together.
Is 3 your max limit?

Coop is usually the "house" that you lock them up in at night/where they lay their eggs.
Run..is usually the "outdoor"/more open space but still "enclosed."

I'm guessing that you are meaning coop by hen house?
Right?

4 x 2...feet I would only put one/maybe two smaller birds in, at the most.
\Good amount of space inside a coop per bird is 4 square feet.
Run is 10 square feet.

Technically I can have up to 6, but I want to be fair and realistic on space I have for them right now. Perhaps you can tell me what my max is? :)

I currently have a 10 ft x 3 ft coop, and 4ft x 2.5 ft hen house. They'd get free ranging about 4 hours a day during most of the year (save for the rainy ugly days here in northern California, which can stretch a week or more). At some point, I'd like to look into getting a larger area built, but for now, that's what I'm working with. What would you say my max is to keep happy, healthy birds?

Now far north? I've raised my girls for 2 years in cottonwood and just moved to redbluff. Most times they don't mind the rain unless it's really heavy.

Honestly if your in the redding area run space (chicken yard) is more important then coop space. But with a 3x10 yard yes I would agree 3 would be max. Personally I feel 3 should be fine in that small of a coop. I had 14 inn a 6 by 4 with no issues they just spend more time in the run. But honestly unless the rain is a downpour they will spend 90% of thier day out side the coop anyways. Areas that need larger coops with 4sq ft per chicken as usually areas with heavy snow and lock ins that last more then a few days multiple times per year.

This was one of our discussions now that i have a ranch and can get more chickens, is that in our area we don't even need a fully enclosed coop as even the coldest nights aren't truly cold enough to endanger the hens. We did opt for a fully enclosed for predator protection though.

I will warn you now though Americana and EE do struggle in our hot summers. Your production will fall greatly anytime the highs are above 95, none of my brown egg layers seem near as effected by the heat any green layers are, I've confirmed this week a few friends. So if you are looking for consistent eggs go for bard rock or production reds (often labeled Rhode island reds) or other brown (or even white) egg laying hens.

Also in some cases bard rocks can become aggressively dominate. Not all the time but i know a few people that have removed boards from thier flocks to keep a more mellow temperament. My 2 bard rocks have not been an issue in this manner and are currently 2 of my best layers

Back
Top Bottom